Cannondale....what's the attraction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weepiglet

Hi guys,

A year has passed since I got my Trek 1.9 and I have been invenomated by the dreaded cycling bug. I am out in all weathers and all temperatures and now I have the opportunity to buy a new steed through work again. After the recent reviews in C+, I have been reading around the whole cannondale thing and loads of friends in cycling clubs are saying how good the CAAD 9 is.

So, my question is, can someone share their experiences of Cannondale bikes as I am torn between another Trek (Madone) or a Cannondale (Six, Synapse, CAAD 9)!!

Many thanks.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a CAAD9, im not experienced enough to compare it to other bikes nor really rate it technically (I mostly ride a Fuji Track that is in process of being turned into a fixed wheel TT bike). From a pure feel point of view, I thought the Trek equivalent felt like a toy in comparison. Thats the only way I can really describe it. The Cannondale while being very light felt much more stuck to the road and more comfortable (despite it supposedly being very stiff etc), the Trek felt very bumpy and vibrations gallore. Depends what you like, most people probly prefer the Trek, I base this on the fact I see many more Trek's than Cannondales, but I liked the Cannondale much more and was willing to take a lesser groupset for the ride feel and frame quality at the same price as the Trek equivalent (2.1).

You get more for your money in terms of groupset with Trek and other brands, but Cannondale frames are supposedly very well made, being handbuilt hikes the price I suspect.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My Cannondale's a lot older (I've had it 13/14 years) and it's only a lowly CAAD2 R300 but the frame is beautifully made - I think that's the big difference with other big name manufacturers (for similar priced frames).

When I bought a new bike last year I couldn't bring myself to sell it as I'd bought it in the USA and had it so long it wouldn't have been worth much second hand so I converted it to a flat bar single speed - I love it all over again! :biggrin:

OP
OP
W

weepiglet

Brill thanks, very mixed!! A ride will be on the cards this weekend me thinks!
Thanks for all the input.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think you have to ride bikes to see whether they suit you or not. They do vary in terms of ride 'quality' in that what is stiff and responsive to one, may be harsh and unforgiving to another. Having said that, Cannondale frames are always beautifully executed... worth points for that alone in my book.

snailracer

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
...The Cannondale while being very light felt much more stuck to the road and more comfortable (despite it supposedly being very stiff etc), the Trek felt very bumpy and vibrations gallore...

This is more likely due to tyre pressures, rather than the frame.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
snailracer said:
This is more likely due to tyre pressures, rather than the frame.

Im not sure, I can certainly feel the difference between the ride on both of my current bikes when they are both pumped up to the same pressure (and running a common front wheel that I swap between bikes) though.

Could be right, I plunked for Cannondale, Im more than happy with that purchase. As a noob, I went with my gut :girl:

With their recent shifting of production to the far east Cannondale have hopefully left behind their reputation for frame failure which has dogged them for years. I know for a fact that at one point at a shop in the SW of England frame failure warranties were running at 25% of sales.

I've always put it down to their finishing process which involves filing down the frame tube welds which often cuts into the tube itself. Poor practice - badly executed; any engineer will advise you not to file a weld whether for weight saving or aesthetics.

Cannondale the bike brand have long been held afloat by Cannondale the clothing manufacturer (who supply unbranded product to a miriad of different companies) and they very nearly came an enormous cropper when they threw $millions at the doomed Cannondale Moto Cross Bike a few years ago.

I wouldn't buy one but I do have a soft spot for a company whose first product was called 'The Bugger'.

I was once Cannondale's top retail sales person in all of Europe. Apparently.

snailracer

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
Im not sure, I can certainly feel the difference between the ride on both of my current bikes when they are both pumped up to the same pressure (and running a common front wheel that I swap between bikes) though.

Could be right, I plunked for Cannondale, Im more than happy with that purchase. As a noob, I went with my gut :sad:

Next most significant factor is the seat :sad:.
The OP compared 2 different bikes, which may have had different tyre pressures.
Now what the optimal tyre pressure should be for any particular bike/rider/tyre/route is something that could be discussed ad infinitum.
I am just saying that a quick road test has it's limitations.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
mickle said:
With their recent shifting of production to the far east Cannondale have hopefully left behind their reputation for frame failure which has dogged them for years. I know for a fact that at one point at a shop in the SW of England frame failure warranties were running at 25% of sales.

I've always put it down to their finishing process which involves filing down the frame tube welds which often cuts into the tube itself. Poor practice - badly executed; any engineer will advise you not to file a weld whether for weight saving or aesthetics.

Cannondale the bike brand have long been held afloat by Cannondale the clothing manufacturer (who supply unbranded product to a miriad of different companies) and they very nearly came an enormous cropper when they threw $millions at the doomed Cannondale Moto Cross Bike a few years ago.

I wouldn't buy one but I do have a soft spot for a company whose first product was called 'The Bugger'.

I was once Cannondale's top retail sales person in all of Europe. Apparently.

Was that your sales patter mickle? :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
snailracer said:
Next most significant factor is the seat :sad:.
The OP compared 2 different bikes, which may have had different tyre pressures.
Now what the optimal tyre pressure should be for any particular bike/rider/tyre/route is something that could be discussed ad infinitum.
I am just saying that a quick road test has it's limitations.

Most definatelly, what feels good on a hour test ride may feel like a nightmare 8 hours in, but short of doing your usual full on rides you have to go with either experience, or your gut (if you are a newby :sad:) when road testing.

However I fail to see why the seat on a bike effects the way its handling feels.

Top Bottom