Cannot cycle uphill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
Even if you're very fit, when you're 16 stone it's pure physics; I've seen guys who are obviously very fit really struggling up Box Hill, as they are built like bodybuilders or Rugby forwards. It's just more difficult to move mass uphill, particularly on typical road bike gearing (think yours is 52/36 front and 11-28 rear?).

:hello::hello:

Simontm

Veteran
The power needed to sustain 20-25mph on the flat for hours on end must mean you have sufficiently high power to get up hills. Especially 6% which isn't anything at all. Please explain what happens when you get uphill and what stops you from keeping moving.
Oh for the gods' sake, it's obvious, he's knackered after the flat!
^_^

Maybe he's reading his cycle computer wrongly and it's actually 20-25 KMph? That would sound more reasonable - it's the sort of pace I typically maintain on the flat and I too struggle on steeper hills despite being slightly lighter (15 stone) and having a 34/32 gear available to me.

I manage to sustain 20mph or so on a flat (not 25 tho!), but I cycle pretty hard to do it. My rolling average is still about 15ish. This is only on my Scott, on my commuter bike I am significantly slower.

Top Bottom