Canny morning's ride !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well i went out this morning & managed 45 miles on my bike, my previous furthest was 26 miles last week....i just took my time & enjoyed the scenery stopping to take a few snaps occasionally on my way, it took me about 3 & a half hours & i have been rewarded with a great T-shirt & shorts tan ^_^

I've only been on a bike since just over a fortnight so i'm quite happy with today although i was starting to find it a bit tough towards the end :heat:

I'll definitely feel it in the morning i reckon.....

videoman

Guru
Well done. I am working my way up to that mileage as I'm around 26 miles at the moment.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks guys,

I think i'll do another few weeks of doing my 15-20miles about 5 or 6 times a week to try & improve my fitness (& hopefully lose a few lb's aswell) then go for the 50mile milestone.

Videoman your on what was my previous longest until today so if i can do it & i'm sure you'll be able to mate :thumbsup:

videoman

Guru
Cheers Wobblybob. I'm past the 50 milestone but still want to cycle further than 26 miles! Good luck with the 50 miles and keep us informed.

Lancj1

I am finding it a bit of a natural progression so I am going to let my body tell me what to do. I have a 20 mile route that I have now completed half a dozen times, with shorter rides between times, and what I am finding is its getting easier each time I do it. Last night I did it in one straight ride, rather than stopping here and there. I also wanted to add a few more miles at the end but didn't have the time. I am going to have a look at the map and see if I can spot a five and then ten mile loop.

I am truly a beginner, but for those who are more beginner than me just get out and do it. I am absolutely amazed how three rides a week over the last couple of months have had such a significant impact on my fitness and general well being, not to mention my ability to ride a bike.

defy-one

Totally agree with Lance. I started 2 months ago with wobbly legs after a couple of miles. Now i regularly do 10-15 miles,3 times a week.
A few commutes into London (44 mile round trip with panniers/laptop).
Have lost over a stone in weight and the legs once warmed up,feel like they can go on forever.
Noticed friends & family are starting to talk about getting bikes or dusting off existing bso's

Fubar

Guru
Well done everyone, I've been back riding for approx 1 1/2 years now but still feel like a beginner - I think frequent short rides can be just as/more beneficial that 1 long ride a week, though if you can combine both then even better! I've just had 10 weeks off after completing the 81 mile Etape and really struggled first time back on my normal training run, 2 x runs in and I feel a lot better - going to try and get out at least twice a week from now on. Aim is to complete 100 miles in one day within the next year!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well i went out this morning & managed 45 miles on my bike, my previous furthest was 26 miles last week....i just took my time & enjoyed the scenery stopping to take a few snaps occasionally on my way.....

^^^^^^ This just sums up how cycling should be. IMO it's about pleasure and enjoying the journey but cycling is often portrayed as, and perceived to be, all about travelling as far as you can as fast as you can. I am sure the thought that riding a bike means squeazing into lycra and then pushing yourself to the edge of physical exhaustion is preventing a lot of people from taking up cycling but if they knew that really you can go where you want at the speed you want and enjoy the ride and sights along the way they would be much more tempted to give it a go.

Nice post Wobbly, cheered me up no end :thumbsup:

Gaz Vickers

^^^^^^ This just sums up how cycling should be. IMO it's about pleasure and enjoying the journey but cycling is often portrayed as, and perceived to be, all about travelling as far as you can as fast as you can. I am sure the thought that riding a bike means squeazing into lycra and then pushing yourself to the edge of physical exhaustion is preventing a lot of people from taking up cycling but if they knew that really you can go where you want at the speed you want and enjoy the ride and sights along the way they would be much more tempted to give it a go.

Yes i agree no end, This is why i'd like to give it a go..... i'm willing to squeeze in the Lycra :blush: but i will be cruising rather than racing!
Yes great post wobbly!

Gary.

Cyclist33

Absolutely, don't feel pressured to meet any speed or distance targets. That said, I've just mapped out a 113 mile ride for tomorrow, which I may or may not be arsed to do!

Stu

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Absolutely, don't feel pressured to meet any speed or distance targets. That said, I've just mapped out a 113 mile ride for tomorrow, which I may or may not be arsed to do!

Stu

I think i'd be inclined to opt for the latter personnaly ha ha......good on ya for even thinking about that kind of distance tho, it'll be a while until i'm even contemplating that !!

Top Bottom