First big ride. Fuel advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

So I’m going on the biggest cycle I’ve ever done on Monday, 115 miles, not alone,going with 1 possibly 2 people.

Just looking for advice, I estimate it will take 8 hours with stops ( one for lunch)

I’m used to 70-75 miles weekly, just wondered what I should take extra eating wise…..for 75 miles I take
1 Banana
2 large oat based energy bars (70g each)
2 800 ml water bottles and usually fill one back up when we stop for coffee. I add sis hydration tablets to my water

I don’t really want to take a back pack as it makes my back sweat too much.

I plan on taking a few SIS gels and a couple extra bars.

Any advice on nutrition would be welcomed

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably it’s not going to be 40deg where you are?
Why not just stop somewhere nice for a proper lunch and rest?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As hinted at by @vickster - I think you have chosen the wrong day for it! :eek:

If it has to be on SUPER-HOT Monday, I would want to start at 05:30... Well, I wouldn't WANT to be up that early but it might be preferable to getting frazzled and dehydrated to within an inch of your life!

Whatever you think you will need to drink, double it, then add some more. Ditto for the food.

And make absolutely sure that you don't miss any patches of exposed skin when applying sunblock. I forgot about my head on one sunny ride and burned stripes on my balding scalp through the slots on my helmet. And my sunblock application technique let me down on another ride when I missed small triangular areas on the back of each leg...

Sunburn leg.jpg

Good luck! :okay:

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Presumably it’s not going to be 40deg where you are?
Why not just stop somewhere nice for a proper lunch and rest?

Yes we plan on a lunch stop, just want to make sure I’m fully prepared.

Our route is a little into the wilderness heading towards the highlands and no it’s not going to be 40 degrees up here. 26 max according to BBC weather

Last edited:
So I’m going on the biggest cycle I’ve ever done on Monday, 115 miles, not alone,going with 1 possibly 2 people.

Just looking for advice, I estimate it will take 8 hours with stops ( one for lunch)

I’m used to 70-75 miles weekly, just wondered what I should take extra eating wise…..for 75 miles I take
1 Banana
2 large oat based energy bars (70g each)
2 800 ml water bottles and usually fill one back up when we stop for coffee. I add sis hydration tablets to my water

I don’t really want to take a back pack as it makes my back sweat too much.

I plan on taking a few SIS gels and a couple extra bars.

Any advice on nutrition would be welcomed

I'd probably double up on the bananas and energy bars tbh.

The secret is to eat little and often. Having a slap up lunch is a bad idea - you'll not be able to ride properly for a while as your body digests the lunch.

If it were me - I'd probably do 3 coffee and cake stops and keep it lighter.

Every 20 mins or so - have a bit of something or a swig of energy drink.

Have fun.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty. Everything else is detail.

Personally, I favour proper food rather than the snacks/ gels etc. Pub or cafe, decent meal gets my vote. A fine pint of ale improves things still further. Whatever snacks you enjoy the most.

All this nutrition science stuff is very relevant if your body is at its absolute limits and you're racing in the tour, but enjoying proper food makes far more sense otherwise.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Aren't the Highlands the holiday home for midges at this time of year? I should take some repellant with you.

When cycling to Rome in very hot weather I wore loose fitting clothing and set out at 6am every the morning and stopped cycling before noon. During the ride I didn't over-exert , sipped a Torq Hydration drink every 30 minutes , had a good drink of it every 60mins plus a bite to eat every 2 hours.
If feeling dizzy with clammy skin and weakness - stop. It could be the beginning of heat exhaustion. That aside sun cream is important - do you need insect repellant ?

All the best !

Sharky

Guru
8hrs with stops, may be a bit ambitious. 9hrs riding time might be more realistic. But it depends of course on your normal riding pace. How long does a 75 mile ride take?

On the rare occasions that I do a long ride, I always "soft pedal" to the half way point and a good refuel stop. This should retain enough energy to complete the 2nd half.

But be aware of the "wall" that will suddenly appear at about 80 miles. Get past this point with a rest and a refuel and the last 20 miles will hurt, but you'll get through to the end.

Good luck

Top Bottom