First big ride. Fuel advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s going to be 28 deg in Edinburgh on Monday according to the Beeb, what will it be further north?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
8hrs with stops, may be a bit ambitious. 9hrs riding time might be more realistic. But it depends of course on your normal riding pace. How long does a 75 mile ride take?

On the rare occasions that I do a long ride, I always "soft pedal" to the half way point and a good refuel stop. This should retain enough energy to complete the 2nd half.

But be aware of the "wall" that will suddenly appear at about 80 miles. Get past this point with a rest and a refuel and the last 20 miles will hurt, but you'll get through to the end.

Good luck

My last century, 117 miles, was 7 hours 41 ride time at 15.2 avg so the sub eight hours is very doable. This was on my gravel bike running 35m knobbly tyes. If the eight hours includes stops it will be a very good pace.

Why would he hit the "wall"? That's only likely to happen without eating and drinking correctly.

My advice would be to double the food you carry and personally I like to add something savoury. I would drink at least six bottles in that distance and temperature.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Why would he hit the "wall"? That's only likely to happen without eating and drinking correctly.
What I was really meaning. At the point where you've gone beyond the furthest distance you've ever ridden, you are in unknown territory. Good nutrition helps, but muscles start to ache, legs get tired and every pebble on the road you feel in the arms, legs and bum.

I've been in this situation a few times, but strangely enough, if you do the same ride again, you get through that point quite easily as mentally and physically you are now well prepared.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Everyone is different but I do it like this:

1. Look at the distance and climbs, estimate time. Say it's 8h.

2. Split total time into 20min chunks. Assume I need to eat 'one portion' every 20 min. That's 24 portions for an 8h ride.

3. One portion is equal to:
- 1x60ml energy gel
- 1 apple
- half a banana
- fistfull of haribos

4. Make sure the route passes through some villages with pubs for water bottle fill ups.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Thanks for all replies.
Ride went very well, ate and drank loads which really helped with energy, finished very strong. Proud of that.

Attachments

• D257D7C8-447F-49CE-9DE5-AF90D55064C6.png
    D257D7C8-447F-49CE-9DE5-AF90D55064C6.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 16

cheys03

Veteran
Thanks for all replies.
Ride went very well, ate and drank loads which really helped with energy, finished very strong. Proud of that.

Impressive! Once you've finished the post-ride celebrations, maybe beer or two and slap up meal do report back with what you ate and drank for our reference please.... oh, and GREAT JOB!!

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Impressive! Once you've finished the post-ride celebrations, maybe beer or two and slap up meal do report back with what you ate and drank for our reference please.... oh, and GREAT JOB!!

I consumed 8.5 litres of fluids over the total distance/elapsed time.
max temp was 38 degrees with an average of 28 degrees.
See pic for total times etc
I ate the following

4 x 70g home made energy bars (oats,flax seed,nuts,fruit,honey,vanilla)
2 x 42g granola bars with honey and oats
1 x Fudge donut
1 x Mars bar ice cream
1 x Chicken and mayo baguette with crisps and side salad
50g of Haribo sweets.

Hope that helps anyone in future.

Attachments

• 4BB56989-8681-4232-BB77-9D6BC1514251.png
    4BB56989-8681-4232-BB77-9D6BC1514251.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 8

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Midges are not a problem if you keep moving. It's only when you stop that they swarm round you! They don't like the sun or breezy conditions either.
Golden rule is don't stop, especially if it's damp, grey, calm weather.
Sometimes there is no choice...

I got a puncture next to a stream at dusk last night. I can now report that glasses give no protection to your eyes whatsoever when you are not actually moving! I ended up with several midges in my eyes after they found their way round my glasses (as well as numerous bites on my arms and legs). :laugh:

Helpful hint: If you puncture somewhere where midges are waiting to pounce, walk your bike to somewhere windier and drier where you will only get half eaten while carrying out the repair!
:eek:

Top Bottom