Canon 300 f4 IS USM.... anyone got one...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking for this lens, used, but in as good a condition as possible, and have a little less than the going rate when looking at used dealers like MBP, LCE, and the like.
I’m currently using a Canon 50-250 STM on a 7d crop body, and have some pretty decent images, albeit with wider depth of field than I would like.
I have also looked at a 70-200 2.8, but that’s a little farther away in affordability.
My question is this, will I notice much of a difference to my current lens?
The image below was taken at around 1000iso to get some speed, and cropped/edited.
1CABA86C-C3BA-4140-B205-101817178C26.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No idea but that's a very fair shot @stoatsngroats

I had one. Didn't get on with it. Didn't know many who had them. Increase in length over a 200 wasn't enough to give up a stop or two. 400m f4 is the favoured option before you get to spending big monies. But, like everything, if you want the performance you have to pay.
You could consider using a TC but again you loose stops.
Fast, long, cheap. You can have any two.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’m not a Canon man but on my cropped-frame Nikon I use a Sigma 100-300 f/4 which has given me all the reach and speed I have needed, albeit almost always on a monopod as it’s fairly weighty. I have a few Sigma lenses and they are a decent choice when the OEM options are so expensive.

The Canon 7d is not full frame, it is APS format so the 300mm has a magnification the equiv to 300x1.6 = 480mm on the full frame.
The main flaw of this 300mm lens is vignetting (darkening) of the corners at max aperture F/4 on full frame. This is not an issue on cropped frame APS.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
So, just to update this, I’ve made a purchase, a Canon 100-400 f4.5x5.6 L IS from MBP.
It’ll give me the reach I desire, and no drop in speed if using the higher ISOs.
The effective reach is around 640mm from my current 450.
I realise that I’m not achieving my desired change in DOF, but as @Darius_Jedburgh said, you can’t have all 3 elements from fast, long and cheap.
I’m impatient to use this now 😀

Last edited:
OP
OP
stoatsngroats
59BC9FDA-CAF7-4F9C-AE39-64765EE5817A.jpeg

One of the first 20 or so images on the 100-400, which is showing some good image quality, and reach.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Lovely pics! Been thinking about a tele zoom for my 200D, limited to 85mm f1.8 at the mo. Great bokeh but not enough reach, are the cheap zooms any good?
I have the Canon 20-250 STM which is sharp and decent, bought used in excellent condition, and used a lot. I just needed extra reach, and wanted a faster lens, but decided on the 100-400 L as it was cheaper, though not ‘cheap’ even used!
I may be selling the 50-250 at some stage, as the 100-400 achieves more and I have a 60 1.8 at the wider end which is special too!
The first image in this post was taken on it, but required a crop and small sharpening, but it’s definitely good.

I have the Canon 20-250 STM which is sharp and decent, bought used in excellent condition, and used a lot. I just needed extra reach, and wanted a faster lens, but decided on the 100-400 L as it was cheaper, though not ‘cheap’ even used!
I may be selling the 50-250 at some stage, as the 100-400 achieves more and I have a 60 1.8 at the wider end which is special too!
The first image in this post was taken on it, but required a crop and small sharpening, but it’s definitely good.
I have got a couple of Sigmas as well ...30mm f1.4 is very good. Would you stick with Canon teles or other makes?

potsy

Rambler
So, just to update this, I’ve made a purchase, a Canon 100-400 f4.5x5.6 L IS ii from MBP.
It’ll give me the reach I desire, and no drop in speed if using the higher ISOs.
The effective reach is around 640mm from my current 450.
I realise that I’m not achieving my desired change in DOF, but as @Darius_Jedburgh said, you can’t have all 3 elements from fast, long and cheap.
I’m impatient to use this now 😀
This is the lens I use too, it's a cracking lens for general wildlife stuff, would like a 600mm but am not spending money on camera gear right now :okay:

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
I have got a couple of Sigmas as well ...30mm f1.4 is very good. Would you stick with Canon teles or other makes?
I have used Sigma lenses in the past, and have no issue, but I research my purchases, and couldn’t find as many positive reviews for Sigma as for the Canon.
This is a lifetime purchase, so I had to go with the ‘L’ Canon, my first ever, and I’m very impressed.

Top Bottom