Canonndale Badboy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

Anyone got or ridden this bike? What is it good for? Is it a true hybrid or more of a city bike?

Rapples

Guru
I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows better than me, but I understand it to be a "road bike" without the drops. So good for riding on the road quickly, but with a slightly more upright riding position and therefore better visiblity. Ideal for fast commuting in traffic:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
If you like that sort of thing then they look great. I considered one myself once for commuting. Eventually bought a Marin hybrid and hated the straight bars so spent a fortune converting it into a pigs ear of a touring-commuter type bike.

andygates

I got one back in 2001 when they first came out - before that I'd "invented" the MTB-with-skinny-slicks as an ultimate urban commuter just like everyone else had :biggrin:

It's a great city bike. IMO it benefits from some comfort tweaks (mostly a Brooks Ti saddle!) for long rides. And it's a good base to play around with: mine has done the Dun Run twice and hauled heavy trailers...

OP
OP
J

Jim77

What about if I want to use it to get fit hacking around cycle paths and tow paths? Would it suit that so well?

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Just bought one yesterday and been out on it today. Great ride, and brakes are superb. I agree about the saddle though, good quality but rather uncomfortable (perhaps I am just not used to this design of saddle).

So a couple of newbie questions:

(1) How do i know which saddles will fit. And what 'comfort' saddles would you recommend and where can I order them from?

(2) Also in the future if I wanted to get a second set of wheels (more mountain bike type ones) for use more off road what ones would fit and how easy would it be to swap them over?

Cheers.

Rapples

Guru
Saddle fit is a very personal thing, and it's a case of trial and error to find which one fits your backside. Many swear by Brooks saddles which mould to your shape.

I would carry on with the one you have until you work out specifically what you don't like about it, then search forums like this there will be masses of different opinions.

FWIW I have Selle Italia Flite trans am on my MTB, Fixed, And winter bikes. Specialized Toupe on summer bike. The Toupe is the most comfortable. I can very easily suffer from numbness and find the cut out helps me in that direction.

BEWARE SOFT SQUISHY SADDLES WILL NOT BE MORE COMFORTABLE (especially for longer distances)

As far as wheels go swapping will be easy (I assume you have 26" version not 700c?) Only issue is clearance for tyres. Personally, I'd probably save money and just buy new tyres, swap them when needed.:biggrin:

Enjoy your new bike:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Rykard

Veteran
guy at work has one, doesn't look like it has mounting points for racks or guards...if that's your thing..

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Got it now. It rides superbly, very light and agile so no racks or guards for me!

Looking at Saddle / Seat Post alternatives for it though...

OP
OP
J

Jim77

andygates said:
I got one back in 2001 when they first came out - before that I'd "invented" the MTB-with-skinny-slicks as an ultimate urban commuter just like everyone else had :angry:

It's a great city bike. IMO it benefits from some comfort tweaks (mostly a Brooks Ti saddle!) for long rides. And it's a good base to play around with: mine has done the Dun Run twice and hauled heavy trailers...

-
Andy,

What other comfort tweaks have you made? Have you changed the seat post or front forks for example?

simonali

Guru
Bad Boy doesn't come in 26" flavour but a middling (and popular in the US) 650B size, as well as 700C. The joy of disc brakes means that you can buy some MTB wheels and pop them straight on, however!

Top Bottom