can't attach new pedals, cross threading imminent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just bought some new Genetic Pro Track pedals from Triton Cycles, and I can't get them on. Each time the thread catches, the pedal then twists a bit and I'm up against a good bit of resistance with turning the pedal bolt any further, cross threading seems to be occurring: if I applied any pressure that is, thus damaging either or both cranks and pedals. I've tried this on two different bikes, same result. I've got some old exactly the same pedals, I'm able to attach those easily to both bikes.

Any suggestions or should I just return them? Thanks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are you turning them the right way?

Sharky

Guru
The way I remember it is you always turn towards the front of the bike to tighten and towards the rear to loosen.

That's what my old dad told me when I was a nipper.

Sometimes I also put my thumb nail into the thread and turn the pedal to see which way it goes.

Sharky

Guru
To aid installation they are usually marked L and R. Either stamped on the end of the spindle or on a spanner flat .

I've always been aware of L and R markings, meaning left and right.

But just thought that this only works in some countries. Don't think France, Spain and Italy have left/right words beginning L/R. Are pedals stamped specifically for each countries spelling or has English been accepted as the standard for bicycle accessories?

For instance, do french pedals have G/D stamped on pedals?

Who has a French bike, are there French letters stamped on the pedals?

But just thought that this only works in some countries. Don't think France, Spain and Italy have left/right words beginning L/R. Are pedals stamped specifically for each countries spelling or has English been accepted as the standard for bicycle accessories?

I'm pretty sure there were on my Look pedals.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

That’s because English is the default international language, in business and in labelling as in this case.

keithmac

Guru
Aprilia (Italian) don't use left and right for bike panels etc, I always mark them underneath when taking stuff to bits (if it's not obvious).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The way I remember it is you always turn towards the front of the bike to tighten and towards the rear to loosen.

which is odd as for half the revolution you are turning toward the front and half towards the rear of the bike.

It works if the handle of the pedal spanner is pointing up, but not if its pointing downwards

Top Bottom