Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So you can cycle when the roads have ice on them with no fear of crashing?
I don't know, because I've never seen them, if the tyres you mentioned are suitable for road bikes.

I've no data but I'd guess there are possibly 10-14 days in a year when ice makes cycling too dangerous for me. I don't see any benefit in investing in tyres which I might use 5/6 times a year. There's also the hassle of changing them if it's potentially icy.

If one regularly commutes I can understand why some may choose such tyres. I'm retired and can pick any day I wish to ride so studded tyres have no value to me.

I don't know, because I've never seen them, if the tyres you mentioned are suitable for road bikes.

I've no data but I'd guess there are possibly 10-14 days in a year when ice makes cycling too dangerous for me. I don't see any benefit in investing in tyres which I might use 5/6 times a year. There's also the hassle of changing them if it's potentially icy.

If one regularly commutes I can understand why some may choose such tyres. I'm retired and can pick any day I wish to ride so studded tyres have no value to me.
Jeez dude; you said you don't ride in dangerous icy conditions. So I think the suggestion was intnded to let you do that safely. He was trying to help!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Jeez dude; you said you don't ride in dangerous icy conditions. So I think the suggestion was intnded to let you do that safely. He was trying to help!
That's right and I'm saying I see no point in buying tyres I might use a few times each year and have to change before setting off.

Waiting for the ice to melt or going out the next day is cheaper and simpler.

Lovacott

Über Member

sh to ride so studded tyres have no value to me.

I'm of the same mindset. Paying a small fortune for metal studded tyres for the 20 or so days per year I would need them?

When I have a car sat on the drive.

It doesn't really make sense (unless you live in Alaska, which I don't).

Lovacott

Über Member
He didn't "diss" the advice or poo poo the person offering the advice.

He simply offered up a perfectly good explanation as to why he probably wouldn't take the advice.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That's right and I'm saying I see no point in buying tyres I might use a few times each year and have to change before setting off.

Waiting for the ice to melt or going out the next day is cheaper and simpler.
I used to see a guy around here with them on in the winter. It sounded a bit like riding over rice crispies the noise they were making on the roads when there wasn’t actually any ice at the time. He must have just kept them on all winter I think.

I have to cycle every day I have a Springer Spaniel. I have no choice.

Lovacott

Über Member
I used to see a guy around here with them on in the winter. It sounded a bit like riding over rice crispies the noise they were making on the roads when there wasn’t actually any ice at the time. He must have just kept them on all winter I think.
I think you would keep them on if you had ice for extended periods and wanted to ride every day.

For most of England, that probably doesn't apply.

I used to on my Santos but I have two now so don't have to use the ice ones except when necessary. Schwalbe ice spikers are basically mountain bike tyres with a stud in each nobley bit. So good off road anyway. The electric bike had to have them on as I have to take the dog to shoots in a trailer. No point hoping it isn't going to be icy as I have come off when the weather forecast said minimum temperature 4 degrees. As they always say on telly upto 3 degrees colder in rural areas. You can find ice in places when everywhere else has been free of ice for days.
There's a bridge near where I live i expect the potholes to be full of ice for at least 5 days after the ice has gone everywhere else. It would help if the water went under the bridge instead of over it.

Top Bottom