Can't believe my eyes! (Optical illusion.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just found something online which I found unbelievable, so I did what was suggested and imported the picture into a drawing package and checked... the statement is correct! Take a look at it ...

Illusion #1.png

I added the bar labelled 'C' to check the incredible assertion that the squares labelled 'A' and 'B' are actually the same shade of grey!

Don't believe me?

I'll drag it over for you ...

Illusion #2.png

I STILL can't get my head round it!!! :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bar C, gets lighter as you near it's base though.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
https://www.illusionsindex.org/ir/checkershadow

or to quote the easier bit of it:

"While there is a shadow depicted as falling across the checkerboard, there isn't really a shadow there—for Adelson's Checker-Shadow illusion is just a picture of a shadow. And this is what causes the illusion. Adelson’s Checker-Shadow Illusion is therefore the result of a failure of our inductive inferences to line up with the world. Using premises based on sensory evidence, perceived lighting conditions, and previous experiences, our visual system arrives at a false conclusion".

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just masked out a lot of the picture and suddenly the squares look the same shade!

Masked illusion.png

https://www.illusionsindex.org/ir/checkershadow

or to quote the easier bit of it:

"While there is a shadow depicted as falling across the checkerboard, there isn't really a shadow there—for Adelson's Checker-Shadow illusion is just a picture of a shadow. And this is what causes the illusion. Adelson’s Checker-Shadow Illusion is therefore the result of a failure of our inductive inferences to line up with the world. Using premises based on sensory evidence, perceived lighting conditions, and previous experiences, our visual system arrives at a false conclusion".
Thanks - that looks an interesting site!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

How can i trust my eyes after this?
I think that every time I see the current president of the USA! :laugh:

(And I will do a double-take when Boris becomes the next PM too ...)

Top Bottom