Can't believe my eyes! (Optical illusion.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

The brain can convince the eyes of just about anything. This is the problem with eye witness accounts, esp with regards to our activity of colliding with things on a bicycle.
Non cyclists cannot possibly understand how an advanced rider is riding, just as I can't see what top level footballers are up to. The witness statement they give can often be naive to the point of falsehood.
In my own experience of witness car collisions, i was unable to recall correctly the colour of the cars.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I had a big bushy beard for several years but my girlfriend thought I was clean-shaven! (She did not notice when I shaved it off, and took some convincing that I'd had one in the first place.)

yello

The brain can convince the eyes of just about anything. This is the problem with eye witness accounts, <snip> The witness statement they give can often be naive to the point of falsehood.

This is very true and why eye witness testimony can be deemed the least reliable evidence. This is not all of what is at play when the mind starts messing with perception though.

The brain knows nothing of the 'real' world, it takes all it's info from our senses and kind of concocts an image of reality. The brain constantly adjusts the raw data it receives; adjusts, fills out, adds, fleshes out... the image it creates is photoshop'ed, it's fake news even! And we're completely unaware of it for the most part.

That's not bad news though. It serves a purpose and works to our advantage the vast majority of the time. It's cool to be aware of though, gives rise to some real thought provoking A level philosophy type questions (what is reality?) and can be demonstrated as almost paradox in these alluring optical illusions!

I had a big bushy beard for several years but my girlfriend thought I was clean-shaven!

You had the beard prior to your relationship??

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Doesn't work for me don't know why
Because you don't want it to

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You had the beard prior to your relationship??
No. I grew it and she didn't notice it appear. She didn't notice it remaining there. She didn't notice it disappearing either, but I suppose she wouldn't since she was completely unaware of it!

I took some convincing that she meant it and wasn't just joking with me.

She could spot the smallest amount of dirt on a floor or a tiny cobweb in a corner of a room. I suppose she thought that clean and tidy houses were important and my face wasn't! :laugh:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What about the dress that caused so many arguments? I think it's white & gold. Others say it's blue & black.
The explanation was something like poor contrast/exposure in the original photo.

upload_2019-6-26_15-0-35.png

Top Bottom