Can't decide between these for first MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stef 1

I can't decide which would be the better buy. One is a hard tail the other full suss.

1) Vitus Sentier VR 29 (hardtail) - from Wiggle / CRC
2) Calibre Tripple B (Full suss) - from Go Outdoors

If money were no object I'd go for a much more expensive full suspension bike, both either of these max out my current budget (of approx £1k).

I was initially going to go for the Vitus, and was also under the impression that for the price range I was looking at I should stay away from full suspension bikes, but both the bikes I've listed seem to get great reviews and both seem reasonably well specc'd for the price.

Bit hard to say exactly what sort of riding I'll be doing – I'd say hopefully a bit of everything, but it will only be trail/off-road/dh as I've got my road bike for the tarmac.

I won't be able to test exact same bikes but am thinking of going to local trail centre to have a play on both hardtail and a full suspension to see if that makes my decision any easier.

What do you reckon? Appreciate any thoughts or input before I make the wrong decision.

Thanks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The new Calibre Bossnut 2020 is due out and it's getting rave reviews if you want slightly cheaper. I'll also say Boardmans too in that price range.

Milzy

Guru
Seniter VR, it’s a hardcore hardtail & got amazing reviews in all the MTB magazines.
The next MTB I’ll buy will be steel framed.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

Thanks for your thoughts -

Is the Sentier VR a steel frame? I didn't realise that. It would really help swing things in it's favour (I'm a little bit of a fan of steel framed road bikes).

The Bossnut 2020 looks pretty decent too... can't figure out which is the better machine, the Bossnut 2020 or the Tripple B. Only £100 difference in price, the tripple B being slight older and the more expensive of the two, but the Bossnut 2020 being an altogether re-design and upgrade of previous iterations...

Never easy is it!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OP, you need to decide whether you want XC or trail.

The Bossnut and Triple B are trail bikes. There is difference in performance - i.e. trail will be better for gnarly descents. If you aren't going anywhere near stuff like that, then go XC.

OP
OP
Stef 1

Stef 1

OP, you need to decide whether you want XC or trail.
The Bossnut and Triple B are trail bikes. There is difference in performance - i.e. trail will be better for gnarly descents. If you aren't going anywhere near stuff like that, then go XC.

Thanks fossyant. Yeah, I understand the difference - but which would be the best all-rounder? Is there such a thing as a do-it-all MTB?
If I were to say mainly forest trial / pump track / a few tech rooty / rocky bits but sometimes an occasional gnarly descent (although flat-out speed won't be my ultimate DH objective as caution is gradually replacing youthful exuberance and I guess 'gnarly' is also subjective) what would you go for?
I suspect you'd suggest a hardtail?

The trials around Cannop (Forest of Dean) will be my local haunt... single track, blue & red... doubt I'll be touching black graded trails any time soon.

Thanks

Jody

Stubborn git
Both Calibres looks like great bikes and would suit the FOD. Although all the terrain you list could be ridden on both. The full sussers won't like pump tracks but will excel in the other areas.

I would opt for FS given the choice.

Magik-Moose

Hello,

just found this thread and I am in the same situation😞 I cannot decide between the calibre bossnut (full sus)or the vitus sentier (hard tail) ?? Going to be riding off road on woodland trails across the South Downs and wales. Any advice will be more than welcoming ! My budget is 1,100

Thanks

Seniter VR, it’s a hardcore hardtail & got amazing reviews in all the MTB magazines.
The next MTB I’ll buy will be steel framed.
The Vitus has front shocks though, for a proper hardcore hardtail steel frame have a look for a MARIN* Pine Mountain, I love mine :wub:

*this is the 2017 model I've got, although after a quick look they don't appear to do any bikes with zero suspension ATM, but anyone out for a hoot won't go far wrong with one of these, and they weren't dear either IIRC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom