Can't drop into the 2 smallest cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cables cannot stretch.
They can, and do but ( admittedly) not much through the sorts of usage they’ll get on a bike. I’ve spent a lot of time over the years, stretching wires to destruction in order to generate Weibull distribution graphs, in order to determine their durability / nd values. They do actually stretch and contract a bit, even in usage on a bike, it’s that constant stretching and contraction that fatigues them. You’ll never get them to stretch past their elastic limit during usage on a bike though.

Last edited:
They can, and do but ( admittedly) not much through the sorts of usage they’ll get on a bike. I’ve spent a lot of time over the years, stretching wires to destruction in order to generate Weibull distribution graphs, in order to determine their durability / nd values. They do actually stretch and contract a bit, even in usage on a bike, it’s that constant stretching and contraction that fatigues them. You’ll never get them to stretch past their elastic limit during usage on a bike though.
Cables don't stretch.

Yes, they are, but lets stick to the context.

The context is plastic deformation in wire rope used on bicycle gear change systems.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A one year old bike should not have frayed cables unless it was ridden round the world in that year. I've got 30 year old bikes which are, in all probability, still running on their factory-fitted cables. I suspect this is a lack of lubrication/sticktion issue more than anything. Wire ropes, which is what gear and brake cables are, do not stretch to any meaningful extent. If anything changes, it's the outers that move position inside ferrules, or get bent and kinked. Sometimes my hack bikes get sticky cables from being left outside, if not ridden regularly enough. The spray lube aerosol and oil can followed by a ride, soon remedies the problem

Which don't use cables?
Yes it does, there are two, one for upshifting and one for downshifting so in every change you pull cable until the bit in the hub goes click and your gear changes. When not in use the cables remain slightly slack.
Now with a derailleur (if it is not a shadow model) to get up to higher gears i.e.1,2,3 etc the shifter releases the cable and if there is anything sticky in the cable runs "there is a problem Houston"

Mike

Top Bottom