Can't drop into the 2 smallest cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I've just given the bike a pre spring clean up and tried indexing the gears as it's been sat for a while unused, however I can't get it to go into the 2 smallest cogs. I've tried adjusting the barrel adjuster as many online vids have suggested but nothing. I've checked the limit screws but they seem okay. Does it sound like it needs a new cable or should I be able to adjust the one that's already on, the bike's only a year old and I'm not sure how long a cable should last or would it stretch that much in a short time? I've got a basic knowledge but nowhere near enough obviously so would appreciate any advice. Ta muchly.

Undo the cable at the cable anchor bolt on the RD.
Remove the chain.
See if the RD really moves all the way to the stops and now confirm whether the stops are in fact at the high and low positions respectively.

Once that's done, you can start fiddling with barrel adjustments.

Until then, you're wasting your time.

The wire is probably snagging in the outer. Release the rear mech clamp bolt and tug the wire. Then start the indexing process again.

Slioch

Guru
Or, the cable could be frayed inside the shifter housing where you can see it. Depending on brand, there may be a wee inspection hatch thingy.

pawl

Legendary Member
I've just given the bike a pre spring clean up and tried indexing the gears as it's been sat for a while unused, however I can't get it to go into the 2 smallest cogs. I've tried adjusting the barrel adjuster as many online vids have suggested but nothing. I've checked the limit screws but they seem okay. Does it sound like it needs a new cable or should I be able to adjust the one that's already on, the bike's only a year old and I'm not sure how long a cable should last or would it stretch that much in a short time? I've got a basic knowledge but nowhere near enough obviously so would appreciate any advice. Ta muchly.

I had the same problem on a bike that I hadn’t used for twelve months .detached the cable at the RD and dribbled some oil down the outer cable sleeve I used 3 in1 oil.I would point out my cables are external.
Solved my problem.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The bike has been unused for some time probably after being ridden on wet salty roads?

Your rear derailleur cable outer is rusty and manky at the ends. Replace it and be amazed at the improvement in performance.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
... would it stretch...
Don't think an inner cable does stretch. But if you think about it, if it did, the cable would lengthen and make it more likely to drop into the smaller cogs.

Following the suggestions above is the best strategy.

Cables cannot stretch.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Another possible cause (which @Sharky indirectly hinted at) is that the cable was drawn too tight, which can prevent shifting to the smallest cogs. Someone might have pulled the cable too tight and never bothered correcting the shifting problem this causes. I'm hardly an expert on this, but I had the same shifting problem, and it was caused by an overtight cable.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Is it possible that the bike has been knocked over without your knowledge and the rear derailleur hanger has bent as a result?

You say the limit screws look OK; where are they relative their stops when you try and shift onto the smaller sprockets? If you're not getting into the gear you want but the high limit screw is touching the stop / preventing it shifting further outwards, this suggests an issue with the screw or hanger. If there's still a gap between screw and stop, this suggests an issue elsewhere such as the cable or the shifter.

Might be worth removing the chain (if this is easiliy achievable with a quick link), disconnecting the cable completely at the derailleur, manually pulling it outward towards the smaller sprickets until it stops and visually inspecting its position from the rear, relative to the smaller sprockets on the cassette and also the limit screw. Again, if you can get correct alignment with the smallest sprocket using this method it indicates that the derailleur setup is OK and the problem most likely lies upstream with the cable or shifter.

Good luck :smile:

Top Bottom