Drop bar brake cabling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm running cables from drop brakes, which come from the top of the brake, so they don't run under the bar tape. Do the cables loop over the handlebars or under, or is it dependent on what looks best?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
By no means the only way, but in 1969, this was the height of fashion

Cables.jpg

I'd forgotton that in those days, my brakes were cabled up "flemish" style, with the front brake on the left!

Last edited:
By no means the only way, but in 1969, this was the height of fashion

View attachment 718618

I'd forgotton that in those days, my brakes were cabled up "flemish" style, with the front brake on the left!

Many thanks. Germans insist on putting brakes that way around too. The argument is that it's 'safer' because most people's right hand is stronger so having the front brake on the right is asking to be thrown over the handlebars which is apparently certain death.

Sharky

Guru
Many thanks. Germans insist on putting brakes that way around too. The argument is that it's 'safer' because most people's right hand is stronger so having the front brake on the right is asking to be thrown over the handlebars which is apparently certain death.

Partially right.
In the UK (opposite in Germany), when turning right and making a hand signal at the same time, only the left brake is available and as you say, this could be very fierce and send you over the bars. A rear brake with the left lever will slow and steady the rider. Therefore the safer option.

However, if riding fixed, with only a front brake, the tradition in the UK, is to have the lever on the left. When turning right and hand signalling, back pedaling will slow and steady the rider and the front brake available as well.

scragend

However, if riding fixed, with only a front brake, the tradition in the UK, is to have the lever on the left. When turning right and hand signalling, back pedaling will slow and steady the rider and the front brake available as well.

As the law mandates the front brake to be operated by the right hand (when supplied new), presumably new fixies do not maintain this tradition?

The Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010 said:
Supply of assembled bicycles
4.—
(4) Where the bicycle is fitted with brakes which are intended to be hand operated—

(a)the brake lever intended to be operated by the right hand must operate the front brake; and
(b)the brake lever intended to be operated by the left hand must operate the rear brake.

Alex321

Veteran
As the law mandates the front brake to be operated by the right hand (when supplied new), presumably new fixies do not maintain this tradition?

There is an awful lot of that regulation which is routinely ignored by manufacturers/retailers.

Very few bikes outside the budget sector are sold with all the required reflectors, or a bell.

It is the same with lights. Hardly any of the lights sold in the UK meet the legal requirements for the mandated front and rear lights.

Sharky

Guru
Interesting observation.

I think the law refers to exceptions, but I don't know what applies to a fixed gear bike with only one brake. Most non track bikes are sold as flip/flop bikes and sold with two brakes, so would follow the rules above.

Pure track bikes nowadays are sold without any brakes and also not drilled for a brake.

The argument that the right hand is the strongest and therefore should be the front brake is flawed. If it was relevant, all left handed riders would be advised to install the front brake on the left.

Here's one rider who had her only brake on the left...
beryl-burton-1959-clw.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Interesting observation.

I think the law refers to exceptions, but I don't know what applies to a fixed gear bike with only one brake. Most non track bikes are sold as flip/flop bikes and sold with two brakes, so would follow the rules above.
The laws on brakes require that for bikes used on the road, there must be two braking "systems", which can be two hand operated brakes, or one hand operated brake for the front wheel and a coaster brake on the rear, or a fixed gear.

Pure track bikes nowadays are sold without any brakes and also not drilled for a brake.
Track bikes have different rules, and are excepted in that regultaion.

The argument that the right hand is the strongest and therefore should be the front brake is flawed. If it was relevant, all left handed riders would be advised to install the front brake on the left.

Here's one rider who had her only brake on the left...
View attachment 718631

The main argument I have seen regarding which side the brake levers should be, is that when signalling to turn across the oncoming traffic, the hand remaining on the bars should operate the rear brake.

And it does seem that across most of the world, in countries that drive on the left, the rear lever is on the left as the norm, while in countries that drive on the right, the rear level is on the right as the norm.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My front brake was always on the left. It made for a smoother cable run, especially with the cables running under the bar tape.

Re the UK law on having the front brake on the right, this is only at the point of sale on a new bicycle. As all but the cheapest machines are sold without pedals they sre classed mas components rather than bicycles. Same applies to the fitting of reflectors.

Alex321

Veteran
My front brake was always on the left. It made for a smoother cable run, especially with the cables running under the bar tape.

Re the UK law on having the front brake on the right, this is only at the point of sale on a new bicycle. As all but the cheapest machines are sold without pedals they sre classed mas components rather than bicycles. Same applies to the fitting of reflectors.

The reflectors on the front and rear of the bike and the side reflectors on the wheels are required by that regulation to be fitted at the point of sale.

The pedals if fitted must also have the reflectors.

Other regulations require those reflectors to be present when the bike is used on the road after dark, but with a large majority of road pedals, particularly clipless, there is nowhere to fit the required reflectors.

presta

Guru
There was an occasion when I suddenly developed an inability to flick the pedal and get my foot in the toeclip, having been able to do it first time every time for decades. Eventually it dawned on me that the problem arose when I decided to fit the reflectors on the pedals, so I took them off again, and solved it. They just seemed to have changed the dynamics of how my toe flicked the pedal in some way so that my foot kept ending up on top of the toeclip instead of in it.

Partially right.
In the UK (opposite in Germany), when turning right and making a hand signal at the same time, only the left brake is available and as you say, this could be very fierce and send you over the bars. A rear brake with the left lever will slow and steady the rider. Therefore the safer option.

That makes sense. It also makes sense that for people accustomed to driving on the right, using the left brake as the rear seems 'safer'.

That said, my longtail is still set up like a "British" bike despite having cycled on it here for far longer than in the UK: After all, it's a Raliegh, and one of the last made in Nottingham; swapping the brakes feels 'wrong".

My tourer is set up that way for the same reason.

Top Bottom