Drop bar brake cabling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never seen a fixie with the front brake on the left. Turning right downhill is "fun" with the front brake on the right but it's probably best to stick to what you're used to.

One thing I do is to butcher the non-connected lever so just the body and hood remain. It's not just a weight weenie/fashion thing; it reminds you not to try to use a non-existent brake.

I've never seen a fixie with the front brake on the left. Turning right downhill is "fun" with the front brake on the right but it's probably best to stick to what you're used to.

One thing I do is to butcher the non-connected lever so just the body and hood remain. It's not just a weight weenie/fashion thing; it reminds you not to try to use a non-existent brake.

Couldn't you just fit the brake?

Punkawallah

Über Member
There is an awful lot of that regulation which is routinely ignored by manufacturers/retailers.

Very few bikes outside the budget sector are sold with all the required reflectors, or a bell.

It is the same with lights. Hardly any of the lights sold in the UK meet the legal requirements for the mandated front and rear lights.

Unless the bike is older than 1990, and not included in the British Standard requirements.

Alex321

Veteran
Unless the bike is older than 1990, and not included in the British Standard requirements.

Well since that regulation excludes second hand bikes, that wouldn't be an issue anyhow.

So far as the lights go, it seems you are correct, that the lights do not need to carry the BS approval mark (or foreign equivalent) if the bicycle was manufactured prior to 1990. I'm a little surprised that isn't the manufacturing date of the lights that is relevant, rather than the bike.

Chislenko

Veteran
Going back to your original question Andy, prior to the diversion, I have a bike as you describe and the cables go under the bars (obviously not the front brake😊)

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I often think about the right left front back brake situation. I ride a bike pretty much every day to some extent or other, without checking I have no clue which way round the brakes are, something inside me knows how to brake properly but it's not something I am conscious of.

I had a Gazelle for a very brief period which had a combination leaver you could access from both side but which applied the back brake ever so slightly before the front automatically. Supposedly so you could hold your umbrella and brake at the same time.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
All of my bike with old style cableing have them going behind the bars.

Top Bottom