Jumping on smallest cog on cassete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A link to the video or pics would be handy. Could be any number of things.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check you've put the wheel in straight. You may need a slight tweak of the High (H) small sprocket or Low (L) big sprocket screw if the chain is slightly out. Make sure you don't have any dirt under the screw.

Taking the wheel out and servicing it shouldn't affect the shifting, unless it's been knocked or dirt has got in.

Big John

Guru
A chain usually jumps when the chain/cassette get worn. However, it usually jumps when the chain is on the sprocket you use most, which is why it wears. Unless you ride on the small sprocket all the time and have muscles like Geoff Capes I doubt it's worn. It sounds like it could be something you did when you messed with the hub. To eliminate the 'worn sprocket/chain' theory you could do a quick measure of the chain to check for wear. If you don't know how to do this then YouTube will have a video that explains it far better than I can do in words. If it IS wear problems then a change of chain and cassette usually does the trick.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy Welch

By Low do you mean the biggest sprocket ? Then adjust the L screw. H for small

Hi sorry smallest cog highest gear I meant

fossyant

Have a play with the H screw to align it better. Clockwise to move in to left, anti clock to move to right (as looking from behind). Look from behind, the jockeys should be directly below. Indexing appears fine, so it's just the H screw.

Get yourself a stand, or a washing line that you can hang the bike from.

Some cassettes have a very small washer, like tin foil thick, so this shouldn't affect it. TBH it could have been like this for a while, as I rarely use the smallest sprockets anyway.

Erasmus

It's also possible that you need to adjust the B tension screw to push the inner jockey wheel away from the cassette, particularly if the cassette now sits slightly nearer to the stays. Even if you've adjusted the limit stop, in this situation, the mech will want to angle in a bit closer to the smallest cog and there may not be enough room. If this is the case, be careful that the chain can't scrape the chainstays.

Good luck, John.

fossyant

It's also possible that you need to adjust the B tension screw to push the inner jockey wheel away from the cassette, particularly if the cassette now sits slightly nearer to the stays. Even if you've adjusted the limit stop, in this situation, the mech will want to angle in a bit closer to the smallest cog and there may not be enough room. If this is the case, be careful that the chain can't scrape the chainstays.

Good luck, John.

B screw is for Big sprocket clearance. It's not in much tension with the smaller sprockets

Top Bottom