Can't find a cycle helmet small enough for baby.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs.MysticMeg

I've joined this forum as I have no luck fonding a cycle helmet for my 9 month old daughter after days searching the net.

Her head circ is 43cm and the smallest I have found is 46cm. I was a regular cyclist before pregnancy so would like to be able to get on my bike again with her in the seat to at least pop to the shops and back but at the moment with no helmet for her we are stuck using the car for short journeys.

If anybody could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Paula

OP
OP
M

Mrs.MysticMeg

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong section.

jimboalee

Randochap said:
I would say a 9 month old's neck is not well enough developed to be taking on the bike.

+++++1.

Don't do it.

Accidentally drop the bike and your baby is dead.

Maybe that's why you can't find a helmet for an infant that young. You shouldn't be taking her in a bike childseat.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.MysticMeg

I decided against the the traialer style as I didn't like the fact she would be so closee to the road and the exhaust fumes also a driver not seeing the trailer and pulling up to close behind me and then running her over was a worry for me.

Her neck muscles are fine, she was an early develpoer with crawling, standing and now almost walking so I am happy for her to be in a bike seat. She is already in a forward facing car seat.

The cycling I will be doing with her is just to the shops, to the park etc as it takes a little too long to walk it but not worth using the car so no more advising me that it's not a good idea.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Re the trailer, Mrs MysticMeg, I use a recumbent tricycle which probably gives a similar-ish profile to the driver as a trailer.

I am far more visible to motorists than a standard bike and they pass me much more widely and safely. My husband, who cycles both a trike and a normal bike, says that he feels safer on the trike. We both have flags which make us even more visible.

so no more advising me that it's not a good idea.
If you're asking for advice on this forum, you are going to get advice - whether or not you like it!

OP
OP
M

Mrs.MysticMeg

I'm asking for advice about where to purchase a helmet only, not about whether I should or shouldn't put her in a bike seat.

Auntie Helen said:
Re the trailer, Mrs MysticMeg, I use a recumbent tricycle which probably gives a similar-ish profile to the driver as a trailer.

I am far more visible to motorists than a standard bike and they pass me much more widely and safely. My husband, who cycles both a trike and a normal bike, says that he feels safer on the trike. We both have flags which make us even more visible.

If you're asking for advice on this forum, you are going to get advice - whether or not you like it!

+1. If people think you are wrong, especially on safety grounds, you've got to expect them to say so!

Just to add my opinion: child-carrying days are well behind me, but my kids didn't use a child seat on our bikes until they were big enough to wear helmets.

jimboalee

Mrs.MysticMeg said:
I'm asking for advice about where to purchase a helmet only, not about whether I should or shouldn't put her in a bike seat.

You might not have been on this forum for very long. How long you have been reading, I don't know.
You may not know the backgrounds of some of the experienced guys and gals here.

Here's mine, for what its worth.

Motor industry. Vehicle dynamics and Whole Vehicle testing.
Motor Industry Research Association, Crash test laboratory.

My wife gave me two sons while I was working there and there was NO WAY I would put either of them in a childseat - whatever age.

Too bloody dangerous.

PS. When I see a gentleman smoking a pipe in a car with a steering wheel Air Bag, I tell him about the X-ray I saw.

garrilla

While I'm of the opinion its your child and therefore your choice, most seats that I saw when looking for one for my daughter had a minimum age of 18 months although some were 12months. Some seats had no minimum age but did have minimum weights of 9kg-15kg.

Best of luck finding a solution.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've carried children in front and rear bike seats, in trailers, and on trailer bikes for over seven years now. And 7 years is the length of time I've been using our trailer.

Be assured that drivers give you far more room than they do when you're just on a bike. They are far more visible than a bike. If the bike goes over, the trailer doesn't, so there are other safety advantages.

If you want to get a helmet for your daughter for a bike seat then fair enough. But there's really no need to get defensive when asking for advice on a forum full of cyclists with experience of the subject you're asking about.

And I've got no children, but I've worked a lot with promoting cycling to the public, including families, and I'd agree with what Paul says. Trailers are very safe, and very noticable. A driver who didn't notice one is likely to not notice you either, frankly. You get much more room when towing one (I have done - it happened to be full of shopping, it was great, loads of space from people passing). And they are a roll cage - if the kid is strapped in properly, the trailer could turn right over and the kid will be ok - a bit surpised, but ok. However in normal road use, I've never seen one tip over.

As for the exhaust fumes, she'll get more exhaust fumes inside a car than in a trailer, even if she is nearer the pipes. And think about it. In traffic, you'll be pulling up behind cars (not much chance to filter with a trailer on). The trailer will be behind you, more than a bike length away from the exhaust pipe in front and more than a car's length from the exhaust behind. And while moving, the throughput of air will mean she breathes the same air as she would in a seat.

If you can't find a helmet big enough, I'm afraid it's probably for exactly the reason people have said - you're not meant to be needing one for her at that age.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I'm going to do here what I would do in a shop, if I ran into the same kind of willful ignorance.

I'm sorry M'am, but the child is too young to be in a bike seat -- look what it says here on the warning label. We don't have helmets in that size, because (see above). I'm sorry I can't help you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have another customer.

Top Bottom