Can't get onto the big ring, it does even try to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Already have done but as everyone is out on their bikes I'm in for Saturday.

The propel even with 1/2 its gears is something special but, I'll be getting some miles in on the Trek in the mean time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
> With the cable retaining nut at the front mech loosened, the front shifter travels its full range and clicks. There is also corresponding movement of the cable, at the area where it would attach to the front mech.

So the cable isn't actually being pulled by the shifter then, which sounds like what @jay clock posted ...

If you are moving the shifter is the cable moving at the front mech. If it isn't, your nipple may have snapped off inside the shifter
I have had the end of a gear cable snap off inside the shifter once and that was the result.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I am in no position to be fixing the cable at the shifter end, I'll probably screw something else up that's working fine, so will let the one man bike shop sort it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
will let the one man bike shop sort it.
Once 'sorted' you might wish to invite your chap to explain what your 'problem' is/was and how he resolved it, and share that here. Frustrating we have not been able to discover it from your descriptions.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Once 'sorted' you might wish to invite your chap to explain what your 'problem' is/was and how he resolved it, and share that here. Frustrating we have not been able to discover it from your descriptions.

I will be doing so for the knowledge base.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Took the Propel to a highly rated bike mechanic - CycleServe, Bramcote, Nottingham.

Due to social distancing I couldn't get too close but, John asked me to hang about incase its something he can sort quickly. There was a problem between the STI and Front Mech. However, John, tinkered with the cable at both the barrel adjust which was initially stuck and also tinkered with the cable where it meets the front mech. 10 minutes later he got it shifting onto the big ring.

Then after a test ride I returned stating I can't get it onto the big ring. John took it out for a spin and said its spot on, which, I could see and hear myself as he went past. I had a go, to no avail. John identified that in addition to the cable, I was not using the STI lever correctly and catching the secondary lever, sending mixed messages to the mech.

embarrassed-monkey.jpg

To soften the embarrassment, John did state I did an awesome job of indexing and balancing the brakes.

John at Cycleserve also made me feel welcome, was happy to advise on upgrades I had brewing in my head as well as give me a few tips on shifting (certain crank positions etc), parking the bike up, best practises which are only gained through experience. A truly rare experience to meet such an ethical and skilled person like this in, this day and age!

He also sorted a few other bikes on the spot that looked like they had reached their end of life sending the riders off with big smiles.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then after a test ride I returned stating I can't get it onto the big ring. John took it out for a spin and said its spot on, which, I could see and hear myself as he went past. I had a go, to no avail. John identified that in addition to the cable, I was not using the STI lever correctly and catching the secondary lever, sending mixed messages to the mech.
Oops (also aha - that's why we couldn't figure it out)! :laugh:

Top Bottom