Can't get onto the big ring, it does even try to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I got my 2017 Giant Propel just before xmas. Seemed to be working well. However I took it to Evans for a wheel set change and also asked them to just give the gears a once over. Got it back, to find they had made the gears worse, a little noisy so I adjusted the cable and the rear shifter and rear mech work in harmony. Today was the first day I managed to get out for an early morning ride only to find that the whole bike works well but, it will not shift into the big ring. :eek:

The shifter does move but doesn't got that extra little bit inwards. There is no attempt at the front de-railieur to even attempt to move or make a sound as if it did attempt to move.

Happy to give anything a go and have used youtube videos to learn how to adjust the rear mech, change tyres etc but, can seem to find a video explaining how to work through a shifter not moving into the big ring. Any help/advise/links to a vid etc would be appreciated.

tom73

Guru
Try this one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNG7g83lI-s&list=PLGCTGpvdT04TlNwuGy2pd_y8wt-oLfuij&index=4

They also have a link for a talk though how the whole thing works.
I had a similar problem recently with a bit of a play I got it work better but in the end I changed the cable.
Set it up and it's now working just needs a post ride tweak.

jay clock

Massive member
If you are moving the shifter is the cable moving at the front mech. If it isn't, your nipple may have snapped off inside the shifter

Reactions: DSK
Probably needs adjusting end stops as shown above. Derailleurs need a drop of lube now and again. If using spray, dont spray the wheels. I use a bit of card as a shield.

si_c

Guru
If you put the shifter into the big ring all the way and check the cable tension in the derailleur - pull on the cable a tad, if it's loose then that's your problem, you need to tighten the cable up.

If it's not, then try pushing the derailleur outwards a little, if it won't go all the way out then it's the cable limit screws, the linked video above covers how to adjust the derailleur properly.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I got my 2017 Giant Propel just before xmas. Seemed to be working well. However I took it to Evans for a wheel set change and also asked them to just give the gears a once over. Got it back, to find they had made the gears worse, a little noisy so I adjusted the cable and the rear shifter and rear mech work in harmony. Today was the first day I managed to get out for an early morning ride only to find that the whole bike works well but, it will not shift into the big ring. :eek:

The shifter does move but doesn't got that extra little bit inwards. There is no attempt at the front de-railieur to even attempt to move or make a sound as if it did attempt to move.

Happy to give anything a go and have used youtube videos to learn how to adjust the rear mech, change tyres etc but, can seem to find a video explaining how to work through a shifter not moving into the big ring. Any help/advise/links to a vid etc would be appreciated.
Use Tom 73 vidio. Ignore the rest.:okay:

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Wow, so much to try and responses, thank you I will start to work through the above advice before throwing in the towel.

In the meantime whilst the wonderful chaps above were posting tips/help, I did the following;

> I move the front mech by hand and it moves and looks to be set properly, in terms of its limits.
> I loosened the cable tension nut on the front mech and now I get the clicks and lever travel needed, with movement at the cable where it meets the front mech. (Good - cable not broken).
> Just no movement of the front mech

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Wow, so much to try and responses, thank you I will start to work through the above advice before throwing in the towel.

In the meantime whilst the wonderful chaps above were posting tips/help, I did the following;

> I move the front mech by hand and it moves and looks to be set properly, in terms of its limits.
> I loosened the cable tension nut on the front mech and now I get the clicks and lever travel needed, with movement at the cable where it meets the front mech. (Good - cable not broken).
> Just no movement of the front mech

If the front mech is jammed when the cable is slackened off then just replace it, I’ve had this issue and I’ve really struggled to get it moving freely again (even off the bike in a vice with tons of white spirit and oil) sometimes it’s easier to Chuck it in the bin and buy another.

boydj

Legendary Member
Loose off limit screws.
Disconnect cable.
Move cage by hand: side to side. If no movement, lubricate till it does, or replace.
Then, as an alternative to the Park video, found this for you: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/tutorials/520/how-to-adjust-your-front-derailleur
Don't mess about with the limit screws. The rest is good. Moving by hand with the cable disconnected should let you know if the range of movement is correct or not. Only move the screws if the range is wrong. It does sound more like the cable is stuck somehow - though the bike is not old enough for the cable to have frayed inside the shifter. Check if the cable moves with the shifter when it's disconnected.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

So after a couple of more hours I'm still where I was despite the help and guidance of fellow members and youtube.

Having read through a few replies above, I may not have been clear.

> The front mech moves fine by hand with a spring tension to go back to the small ring at all times.
> Moving the front mech by hand, the range looks spot on.
> With the cable retaining nut at the front mech loosened, the front shifter travels its full range and clicks. There is also corresponding movement of the cable, at the area where it would attach to the front mech.
> However, the front mech does not move via the cable.

I've given it my best shot but this has me stumped with no progress of any kind and needs a professional to look at it.

Top Bottom