1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get these s*dding powerlinks to close?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Panter, 12 Feb 2008.

1. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

Are these not compatable with this chain? or are there any tips to get the thing to close.

I've pressed the 2 halves together and pulled the bl**dy thing as hard as possible but they just will not clip together :tongue:

Where am I going wrong????

2. simonali

simonali Über Member

Your first link is no good. The internet link that is, not the one on the chain!

3. OP
    OP
    Panter

Works for me, guess I'm just no good with links of any description :tongue:

Just sussed it anyway, i've used the link supplied with the chain and it went straight on. The powerlinks I bought have fractionally shorter pins so they won't fit.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Ah - your powerlinks might have been for a narrower chain.. the ones that come with the KMC chain are fine.....

5. OP
    OP
    Panter

CRC have sent the wrong ones too, I ordered the 8 speed and they've sent the 9 speed which, I guess, have the slightly shorter pins :rolleyes:

I'll keep these for the MTB which is 9sp and order some more 8sp for the roadie and hope that they get it right this time!

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I have a 9-speed KMC chain where the supplied Powerlink would not close. I guess it was slightly undersize and I had to junk it and join the chain with a rivet.

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

KMC joining thingy is better than Srams ime. Reason being you can actually separate the KMC one without resorting to gurning for five minutes, and getting covered in chain smeg.

8. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

The powerlink on my folder did first annoy me. To take it off i used to take it off the chain ring, to put it on i put it on. Could have been the other way round. But dont force it. I tried that and it wouldnt work. As soon as i got it right i could have it on or off in a few seconds.
    I think i might have left it on to get it off, then taken it off to link it back together.
    That was a Srams though.

9. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

it's 'cos it's pointing to your basket, and you're probably logged in.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

ha, i get that aswell a bit with sram ones, might try a kmc then

fit on 9 speed sram chains do they steve?

11. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Without a doubt, 8 speed are harder to close then the 9 speed. Usually clicks through under tension, though.

12. OP
    OP
    Panter

Yup, 'twas the reason, thank you :biggrin:

Thanks Dave, I've got the 8sp through now, I'll have a go this evening on the excess piece of new chain I removed.

Pictures?? :blush:

Thanks peeps :smile: