Can't get these s*dding powerlinks to close?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Are these not compatable with this chain? or are there any tips to get the thing to close.

I've pressed the 2 halves together and pulled the bl**dy thing as hard as possible but they just will not clip together :tongue:

Where am I going wrong????

simonali

Guru
Your first link is no good. The internet link that is, not the one on the chain!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Works for me, guess I'm just no good with links of any description :tongue:

Just sussed it anyway, i've used the link supplied with the chain and it went straight on. The powerlinks I bought have fractionally shorter pins so they won't fit.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
CRC have sent the wrong ones too, I ordered the 8 speed and they've sent the 9 speed which, I guess, have the slightly shorter pins :rolleyes:

I'll keep these for the MTB which is 9sp and order some more 8sp for the roadie and hope that they get it right this time!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
KMC joining thingy is better than Srams ime. Reason being you can actually separate the KMC one without resorting to gurning for five minutes, and getting covered in chain smeg.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The powerlink on my folder did first annoy me. To take it off i used to take it off the chain ring, to put it on i put it on. Could have been the other way round. But dont force it. I tried that and it wouldnt work. As soon as i got it right i could have it on or off in a few seconds.
I think i might have left it on to get it off, then taken it off to link it back together.
That was a Srams though.

bonj2

Panter said:
Works for me, guess I'm just no good with links of any description :biggrin:
it's 'cos it's pointing to your basket, and you're probably logged in.

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
KMC joining thingy is better than Srams ime. Reason being you can actually separate the KMC one without resorting to gurning for five minutes, and getting covered in chain smeg.
ha, i get that aswell a bit with sram ones, might try a kmc then

fit on 9 speed sram chains do they steve?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
bonj said:
it's 'cos it's pointing to your basket, and you're probably logged in.

Yup, 'twas the reason, thank you :biggrin:

Dave5N said:
Without a doubt, 8 speed are harder to close then the 9 speed. Usually clicks through under tension, though.

Thanks Dave, I've got the 8sp through now, I'll have a go this evening on the excess piece of new chain I removed.

Steve Austin said:
gurning for five minutes, and getting covered in chain smeg.

Pictures?? :blush:

Thanks peeps :smile:

Top Bottom