Can't pedal in lowest gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karel

I bought a bike of eBay, a Pinerrelo Banesto and the problem is it is really hard to pedal in the lowest gear on any sort of incline and I have to end up getting off the bike, I can only think someone very experienced had it adapted for them, it hs 2 main cogs and around 7 smaller ones, is there anything I can do to make it easier to ride as it is near on impossible at the moment.

Thanks

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
take it to a local bike shop and ask them to put on a compact chainset and possibly a lower ratio cassette (and probably need a new chain). if it says campagnolo on the components anywhere, you'll need to find a campagnolo dealer; not all bike shops are.

the other (cheaper) option is to just keep riding it until your legs get stronger…

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Shouldn't be impossible to go up any incline in the lowest gear! - are you sure you've got it in the right gear for a hill?
Smallest ring on the crankset and largest cog on the cassette is the lowest gear.
A 7 speed might not be the easiest for a newcomer on a big hill but you should be able to get on OK on most.
Brakes aren't stuck on are they? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
K

karel

Shouldn't be impossible to go up any incline in the lowest gear! - are you sure you've got it in the right gear for a hill?
Smallest ring on the crankset and largest cog on the cassette is the lowest gear.
A 7 speed might not be the easiest for a newcomer on a big hill but you should be able to get on OK on most.
Brakes aren't stuck on are they? :rolleyes:

No brakes are fine, it flys on the flat. Deffo in lowest gear, smallest and largest, tried everything and it is the lowest geat. Will have to take to local bike shop and see what they say, don't want to spend a fortune on it though.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
How many teeth are on the biggest rear cog?

I can only think that there is flex in the wheel and the rim is rubbing against the brakes.

Randochap

Senior hunter
A Pinarello Banesto is likely to have not much of a low gear (unless you are as gifted as Miguel Indurain -- who rode this model in the 90s).

You will likely need to replace at least the chainset, chain and rear cogs; possibly the derailleur. Go see your friendly LBS

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome. You will get stronger legs, but it mightn't be enough.

Any chance you can count the teeth on the smallest chainring (the cogs up front) and the biggest sprocket (those at the rear). If we have an idea of the ratio, we can advise whether its more about the bike or the rider :smile:

hotmetal

It depends what your lowest gear is. Mine is 39t on the chainring and 23t on the rear wheel, which is fairly high. Even so, it's not that hard unless the hill's really steep. I'm sure you can get Campag compatible cassettes with a larger bottom gear than 23 though. The problem you are likely to have though is that if it is a Campag 7spd, it's old and likely to be a screw-on freewheel rather than a cassette. You would need to get proper advice, because compatibility will be a problem if you replace the rear sprockets with anything else. And unfortunately being Campag it won't be cheap.

Top Bottom