Can't remove pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Or, put the crank facing forward and spanner back towards the rear to remove. When you put the pedals back on, spin them towards the front wheel

Alun

Guru
Make sure that if you slip when applying pressure to the spanner with the bike upside down, you don't end up punching the chainwheel teeth. You WILL regret it !

PpPete

Legendary Member
One way to remember which way the thread goes is--Right is right, left is wrong, this goes for the BB threads as well. But not Italian threaded bikes.

I beg to differ. The RH BB cup is the one with the left-hand thread (on English threaded bikes)..... it's the opposite from the pedals.

byegad

Legendary Member
My dad was a trained fitter and turner and was in charge of the maintenance of steel rolling mills. He said you never made a good job of something without a little blood in the oil. As a ham fisted amateur, by comparison, I've seemingly taken this to heart in my cycle wrenching and rarely complete even a simple job without some blood being spilled.

The 'best' being skinned knuckles, a puncture wound in my wrist and a torn nail. The job? Replacing a rear reflector. I could almost hear the wail from my departed dad as things went from really bad to completely ****ed up!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My dad was a trained fitter and turner and was in charge of the maintenance of steel rolling mills. He said you never made a good job of something without a little blood in the oil. As a ham fisted amateur, by comparison, I've seemingly taken this to heart in my cycle wrenching and rarely complete even a simple job without some blood being spilled.

The 'best' being skinned knuckles, a puncture wound in my wrist and a torn nail. The job? Replacing a rear reflector. I could almost hear the wail from my departed dad as things went from really bad to completely ****ed up!

Oh the **** did you manage that!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

byegad

Legendary Member
The rear reflector was cracked and I decided to fit a new one.
FIRST MISTAKE!

It was fitted close to the cassette on my recumbent. Recumbents are sometimes a beggar for fitting such standard things.

The allen head rounded internally so the allen key slipped and as it slipped I removed the skin from my knuckles against the cassette.
SECOND MISTAKE!

Then I tried filing the outside of the allen bolt so I could get hold of it and turn it with a spanner. Another slip and half the nail on my little finger was torn off. Not sure what on as by now there was a fair bit of blood on everything.
THIRD MISTAKE!

I finally got it filed and applied an adjustable spanner and removed the mount and reflector.
THIS WENT WELL. No Blood, well no blood from new wounds, by now the back of the trike was looking like a scene from Gladiator!

Prising the reflector off the mount with a screwdriver I stabbed myself in the wrist.
FOURTH MISTAKE!

Putting it back on. The next day. It whistled on despite the bandage and sticking plaster making me clumsy.

This was a couple of years ago, the scars are nearly invisible, but... The new reflector is looking a bit old and there is a slight crack in it. Tough I'll not go anywhere near it with a tool in hand ever again.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The rear reflector was cracked and I decided to fit a new one.
FIRST MISTAKE!

It was fitted close to the cassette on my recumbent. Recumbents are sometimes a beggar for fitting such standard things.

The allen head rounded internally so the allen key slipped and as it slipped I removed the skin from my knuckles against the cassette.
SECOND MISTAKE!

Then I tried filing the outside of the allen bolt so I could get hold of it and turn it with a spanner. Another slip and half the nail on my little finger was torn off. Not sure what on as by now there was a fair bit of blood on everything.
THIRD MISTAKE!

I finally got it filed and applied an adjustable spanner and removed the mount and reflector.
THIS WENT WELL. No Blood, well no blood from new wounds, by now the back of the trike was looking like a scene from Gladiator!

Prising the reflector off the mount with a screwdriver I stabbed myself in the wrist.
FOURTH MISTAKE!

Putting it back on. The next day. It whistled on despite the bandage and sticking plaster making me clumsy.

This was a couple of years ago, the scars are nearly invisible, but... The new reflector is looking a bit old and there is a slight crack in it. Tough I'll not go anywhere near it with a tool in hand ever again.
Recumbents - Now I see the problem :tongue:

byegad

Legendary Member
Recumbents - Now I see the problem :tongue:

Glad to feed your prejudice. :biggrin:

I could describe the incident of the stuck cassette on my Thorn Club Tour, but some things are still too raw, even after 6 years!:biggrin:

Hahaha, glad you got them sorted, when I changed some old pedals over on mine I failed to realise that one side was counter screwed, one was off in seconds, the other was tighened up beyond a joke, which I then removed fearing I'd warped the crank arm thread, fortunately I hadn't.

Top Bottom