Can't remove pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
Edit: brute force and bleeding wrists is the way to do it. Obviously they were tightened up by a real man
rolleyes.gif

I call upon the moderators to delete this post
whistling.gif

Well, I've just received my SPD-SL pedals to replace my SPDs. Exciting stuff. However I cannot get the current pedals to budge! Previously I've not had a problem, they've been swapped over on to my other bike a fair few times. But... for some reason they won't budge, no matter how hard I heave.

Now, I had to have my bottom bracket replaced a couple of months ago due to a creak, which Edinburgh Bicycle did for me. I've noticed there's some 'unfamiliar' grease around the pedals. I'm starting to worry that while undergoing it's operation, my bike had its SPDs removed for a test ride, and then screwed back on the wrong way and now it's fooked. This is just (hopefully) silly paranoia though and they're just on damn tight!

Are there any suggestions floating around as to how to get pedals off when they are reluctant to do so? I only have simple means: a pedal spanner and some arms. I was thinking spraying on some WD to 'unstick' them, not soo sure though?

I'm itchin' to try out my new shoes and pedals, and it's a ruddy good day for it too!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I cannot for any moment believe that the are the wrong way round but that no grease was used when they were put back on hence why now they are very tight.

A pedal spanner with a big pipe on the end of it would be a good starting point as this will give you more leverage. You maybe able to also just use a pedal spanner and give the end a whack with a mallet to break the initial seal but be careful.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Usually there is a stamp/mark on the pedal/spindle telling you whether it is the L or R one.
[/quote}

Absolutely. Often there is also an arrow showing which direction tightens the pedal. If you are sure you are trying to turn in the correct direction, the pipe over the spanner method should enable you to raise a huge amount of torque.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I cannot for any moment believe that the are the wrong way round but that no grease was used when they were put back on hence why now they are very tight.

A pedal spanner with a big pipe on the end of it would be a good starting point as this will give you more leverage. You maybe able to also just use a pedal spanner and give the end a whack with a mallet to break the initial seal but be careful.
Fwiw my come spanner is perfect for my pedals.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
These threads call to me from afar, beckoning me hither... coffee/splutter moment when I read this
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
What a difference an 'n' makes :biggrin:

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 20

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
15 mm spanner and left pedal unscrews clockwise, right pedal unscrews anti-clockwise.

One way to remember which way the thread goes is--Right is right, left is wrong, this goes for the BB threads as well. But not Italian threaded bikes.

Top Bottom