Can't stop croaking...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did you clean the threads for the BB in the frame before you greased them and installed the new BB?

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Yep - then torqued up the driveside then the left side as per the supplied instructions. I think it's properly installed. I have doubts about the chainring as per earlier thread, but have found it difficult to measure clearances accurately and consistently and there's no obvious warping.

Having said that when i tried to follow sheldonbrown's instructions for checking for a bent axle, at first the chainwheel was so close to the derailleur it was rubbing. When i removed it and put it back on at 180deg it was not. So i moved the left crank through 180deg and all seemed to be running well. I must confess to being perplexed.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
May be a stupid question, but are you sure the chain is not rubbing on the front derailleur when you put the power down? This could be due to frame flex and/or the stop limit screw.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
It seems a very sensible question and i'm not sure of the answer. I've found it impossible to adjust the h screw so that there is always clearance. I gave a detailed account of the problem in this thread, but the advice was that the BB was most likely the culprit, which is why I changed it. And it did seem to make the noise quieter and far less frequent.

Top Bottom