Can't stop croaking...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks to some considered advice in another thread, i replaced my BB to rid myself of a loud croaking noise when using the outer chainring. I thought it had done the trick, but there is still an identical (i think) noise when under heavy load on the bigger rear cogs. It's not quite as loud as before and only happens on the non-driveside down stroke, but it is consistently there.

I'm still very much learning and perhaps this is normal. Maybe it's bad riding practice to strain the drivetrain this much. But i haven't noticed any such noise on previous bikes and i can induce it without actually leaving the saddle.

Perhaps some more experienced member could kindly tell me if there is a mechanical problem or my noiseless expectations are simply too high.

Thanks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Saddle rails or seat post is a noise often confued with the bottom bracket noise.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What sort of BB was it ?
I had a similar creak when i pressed down on the left crank so i pulled the BB out today and cleaned /regreased the threads and reassembled, seems to have done the trick on a sealed square taper /isis BB.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks for the replies - the consensus seems that there is a mechanical problem somewhere in the drivetrain. I had gone down the clean and grease route before replacing the BB, which is a Truvativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket. As part of the exercise i took the chainset apart and reassembled it.
I'll do the pedals and rear dropouts tomorrow.

Any other possibilities?

jim55

Guru
Yeah,it might b the chain itself ,sounds as if ur cross chaining as well and this can create a few noises , if it only happens in big ring it can't b bottom bracket as when on small ring it would creak as well, I'd say take it all apart ( pedals , crank (grease rear dropouts ) take out seat post and grease and while ur there stem bolts need checked

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Yep! The one's I mentioned, do you get the noise when out of the saddle.

Yes, in and out of the saddle, and the noise is so like the noise that was quietened with the new BB i'm very doubtful. But i can give them a grease, it won't do any harm, i'm sure.

Yeah,it might b the chain itself ,sounds as if ur cross chaining as well and this can create a few noises , if it only happens in big ring it can't b bottom bracket as when on small ring it would creak as well, I'd say take it all apart ( pedals , crank (grease rear dropouts ) take out seat post and grease and while ur there stem bolts need checked

This was kind of covered in the earlier thread i mentioned. Someone pointed out that the strain is so much greater from the big chainring that the fact that no noise was evident on the small did not rule out the BB. Don't think cross-chaining should be a problem running off the big chainring should it? Are you saying i should not use the biggest three rear cogs on the big front chainring? I do get a lot of horrible noise from cross-chaining on the smallest two rear cogs when riding on the smaller chainring.

jim55

Guru
Yeah try not to use big-big or small-small that'll prob create noise on its own , is your chain gubbed , if it's dry and u cross chain it'll b evident I'd clean / oil every part if it only happens in big ring and in big rear sprockets I'd go there first just to check

oldroadman

Veteran
+1 on above
Remove pedals, clean threads (on crank arm too) before refitting with copaslip or similar
Grease rear wheel dropouts and tighten the quick release appropriately

Er, why? The dropouts are gripped by the QR surfaces. Greasing a surface which uses clamping to remain in place...not for me, thank you. No, I like the back wheel to stay nicely in place. If the dropouts are either vertical or angled and a creak is coming from there, then there may be a frame issue. Just don't grease dropouts. Or cleat bolts. Just a tiny dab of copaslip or similar on each thread, so they don't seize when it's time to change cleats.

gbb

Legendary Member
Oh and while i remember...
HIGHLY highly unlikely, i had what could well be described a croak, particually when applying serious pressure or when out of the saddle.
Upturn your bike and inspect the welds around the BB to the tubes. Mine had an obvious crack that wasnt visible when the bike was stood upright. See below...
DSC02007.jpg

Quite a shock when you see it, then realise you've been annoyed by a 'croak' for some time and then wonder what would have happened if it failed catastrophically.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Well, i took the whole drivetrain apart including cassette and cleaned and greased everything, including the grease. Screwed everything together to correct torque. I then reset the front and rear derailleurs and thought the noise had gone. But no, today i noticed it quite loud again in a low gear on the large chainring. Could it be a duff new BB? Is there an updated chainset/BB i could try? I've searched the web for explanations of the various chainset and BB combinations, but the more i read, the more confused i get :-(

All i know for sure is i have this BB (which seems to have good reviews) and a SRAM 3 piece, 10-speed, alloy crank.

Top Bottom