? Can't tell where noise is coming from or is it the hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So bassically yesterday afternoon. long story but to make it shorter. Teens ended up kicking my bike. It seemed working till i braked which felt weird as i nearly fell of as it leaned when i put my foot down at this time. I thought it was because the rear wheel wasn't aligned but it was as i checked with another cyclist. i tried again it worked for a bit till i had to brake causing it to make a weird noise which i though sounded like the rim rubbing on the tarmac when the tyre was still on. I stopped to check the wheel. I thought it was mabye a spoke was not straight but all the spokes are straight and when i got back home today. (i havent used my bike due to it not working) i noticed the wheel noise just sounds like a clicking noise. So you guys any ideas?

ps i recentley got my bike fixed a week ago due to gears not working and it's been fine since what happened above^.

Last edited:
Any ideas?

Yeah, some basic punctuation may fix it, but some things are just better doing again.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Honestly - your post is very unclear.

However, after running it through Google translate, some questions for you.

I assume it is the rear wheel making the noise?
Does it only occur when braking?
Could the noise be coming from the brake caliper?
If yes is a stone or something else caught in the caliper?
What is the side movement you are talking about?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Make sure that the quick release is adjusted properly. I forgot to tighten the one on my front wheel last week and did a 44 mile ride before I realised where the noises were coming from!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another suggestion - has the wheel been knoced off centre due to being slightly loose in the drropouts?

Release the quick release lever, make sure the wheel is centered and re-close the lever (after giving it or the nut on the other side of the frame a quarter turn if it was loose)

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I don’t have QR’s axels instead and I have disc brakes not rim brakes
@Milkfloat
1. Yes
2. As I said it happened when j braked and the wheel is stuck and makes weird clicking noise when I try to spin it

Classic 33. English is my first language
[QUOTE 5434839, member: 9609"]Teens kicked your bike ? you need to elaborate a bit on that one

has a brake pad come detached when your bike was attacked, could explain the noise[/QUOTE]
can pads become detached in disc brakes?

Could be the rear derailleur has had a knock/kicked and its not engaging this will give a clicking sound.
If that was the case wouldn’t the gears not be working? But the gears do work

Another suggestion - has the wheel been knoced off centre due to being slightly loose in the drropouts?

Release the quick release lever, make sure the wheel is centered and re-close the lever (after giving it or the nut on the other side of the frame a quarter turn if it was loose)
I don’t have QR’s

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does it only occur when braking? (I am still not sure if it occurs only when braking, or started when you first used your brake)
Could the noise be coming from the brake caliper?
If yes is a stone or something else caught in the caliper?
What is the side movement you are talking about?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
can pads become detached in disc brakes?

Yes. I suffered similar noises that you're describing after one of my front pads fell out. This meant that the piston on that side came into direct contact with the disc during braking.
(The cause of the detached pad was the mechanic at H.alfords forgetting to install the split pin. Idiot.) There's a slim possibility that the teen dislodged yours when he kicked the bike. Have you checked that all pads are present?

Last edited:
Top Bottom