Can't trust "Map my ride".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I went for a ride this afternoon and I always have Endomondo and Mapmyride running simultaneously.When I got back , Endo showed 21.38miles covered and MMR showed 36miles??
I know the former was correct but 15 miles difference is rather a lot! Same with my average speed, there is 8mph difference.
As they both work on gps, how can they be so far apart?
I know which one to trust in future.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is this on the phone, then use just one. Tbh phone apps eat too much juice.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It could be that they have different error correction, that endomondo discounted some big spikes as being too far off and MMR didn't, or MMR might be making a lot more frequent points, which if your gps isn't very accurate adds in extra error distance. An app I used to use would record all location updates but only ask for them every 3 seconds or so, when another app was running that requested much more frequent gps updates, the first app would record them all and would add fairly big amounts to the distance.

That kind of added distance should be fairly obvious from the line they draw on the map where MMR went wrong, if its a big jump somewhere or just lots of little tiny bits, like measuring a distance with a very loose piece of string. :smile:

Ningishzidda

Dear gavroche
Nice to meet you! :becool:
Interested in carbon fober wheels and carbon cycling accessories?
Carbon fiber is a newly emerging material, features light-weigh, heat-resistant and anti—corrosion comparing with traditional alloy.
What's more, carbon fiber gonna be the major trends in the next decade.
As a cyclist, I love carbon fiber!

You know, I opened a store in Amazon this year, and the opening peomotion is going ! ;);)
To push sale, all the carbon fiber wheels and bicycle accessories are in its lowest price20%--40% off comparing with other suppliers! And the first customer will be sent with a special gift!!! :smile:
Do you mind having a check:http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A2N5SFIURLT38I
EU-standard quality, professional customer service, quickly delivery, but with unprecedented price~!!!

Wendy. Carbon Fober is 'old hat'. You need some of the stuff my aerial chariot is made of. It withstands entry into this planet's atmosphere with ease, is lighter than your Carbon Fibre and is infinitely more durable and corrosion resistant than anything an Earthling can produce.

Good try.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've not found any errors in any of my Mapmyride logged outings ranging from a four mile pootle to 100 mile all day rides.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I ditched MMR in favour of Strava 12 months ago or more. I had a few non-captures on MMR; not so bad with a 5 mile doss, but I drew the line at losing a 40 mile hop. I also got seduced by Segments which MMR certainly didn't have at the time.
I ran MMR and Strava on for a short 20 miler around Christmas time for giggles and MMR seemed to drift much further then as well. Not in the order of miles, certainly not 15, but definitely more inaccurate.

I do miss the mile by mile break down into speed and time though.

tyred

Legendary Member
Who cares, just enjoy the ride and forget the facts and figures.

sheffgirl

I set off today whilst trying to use Strava on my new phone. I'd got a couple of miles and stopped to check it, and it said I'd done 0.00 miles :angry: So I switched to MMR, my only complaint is it doesn't give your maximum speed. I used to use Sports Tracker on my old Nokia, but that was a bit hit and miss sometimes. I know that MMR was accurate today because I checked before I set off and it was about 24 miles, and sure enough, it told me I'd done 12.34 miles one way.
Which is the best phone app for tracking your mileage?

Top Bottom