Can't win

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Cycling along Queens Terrace gyratory in Southampton here. I need to move to the right hand lane to continue along Canute Road. I come to the end of the bus lane in left hand lane in primary, look behind several times, there is a gap so I signal right. I slowly move across, and give the car behind a thumbs up for letting me in.

Car promptly undertakes me nearly going into a car in the left lane that's slowing to turn, almost hits a cyclist in front of me in my lane, screams past on a corner and slams on his brakes for a red light at the Royal Crescent Road junction.

I roll up behind the car and sigh.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I havent really had a problem with drivers not liking a thumbs up from me. It cheers me up and I always di it to someone who waits behind at a pinch point or doesnt tailgate. I normally see them smiling or they just miss the thumbs up.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Oh yes, Queens Terrace. Know it well. The amount of foreign HGVs out that way make life.... interesting...

BTW did you hear about Kuti's restaurant nearly burned down the other day?

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

No didn't hear about kuti's - sounds very suspicious....

Went over the Itchen Bridge for fun after that encounter - caught the plonker at the toll booths. Only problem is my legs hurt now lol. This side of the river is nice n flat compared to that side!

Slaav

Veteran
I think the thumbs up and wave are terribly underused!
Even in London on a Boris Bike, taxis especially seem to be pleasantly surprised and grateful for polite cyclists? :smile:

Maybe it is just surprise that they have come across a polite cyclist????

Top Bottom