Canti to V-brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi,

With winter approaching I want to up the spec and efficiency of my brakes. I've recently been playing about with them to try and remove some squeal (I've adjusted them for toe-in and spun the blocks around etc) but realise that they are just a bit old and crap.

Is it possible...or easy to swap from one system to another.

My frame is pretty ancient and so are my front forks (pics below) but the bosses seem to be in the correct(ish) spot.

any thoughts?

thanks

Jonny

Front Forks
IMG00053.jpg

Rear forks
IMG00051.jpg

Another front
IMG00052.jpg

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Your frame bosses are fine.
You'll also need to either change your brake levers (V-brakes require more cable pull than cantis), or use some sort of adapter like this (opinion seems to vary as to how efficient these are, and how much of a faff they are to keep them set up).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Easy job to do, and your bike will be fine like Landslide said. You'll need new brakes and Levers as well. Shimano Deore work very well and can be got for peanuts

02GF74

Über Member
Canti's if set up correctly aren't that bad but v-brakes are better.

looking at the first photo, it looks like the cable joining the cantis is too long - the angle of the cable and the canti should be 90 degree - google it and I am sure it will tell you if I am right or not.

also the pads need to be perpendiculat to the rims with a bit of toe in - the thickeness of a 5 p piece.

again google ....

davidad

02GF74 said:
looking at the first photo, it looks like the cable joining the cantis is too long - the angle of the cable and the canti should be 90 degree
Yes. The brakes in the photo are never going to work very well set up like that as the straddle is set much too high.

Top Bottom