Cantilever brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this has been touched on before but I'd be grateful for some help.

I've recently rejuvenated and fallen in love again with my old chro-mo Ridgeback but don't want to change the brakes - they are cantilever (Altus I think) and use what I think is called an unthreaded post mount.

Cantilever brake pads seem a bit thin on the ground these days and in such circumstances I'm somewhat wary that some still being sold may be somewhat low quality since it may be thought that they are just for old/low-end bikes.

Clarks seem fairly feeely available but I've seen the odd dodgy review.

Anyone got amy views on Fibrax? They are sold by Edinburgh Bike Co-op and I tend to trust their kit selection.

I'd rather not go down the path of cartridges with replaceable pads as I'm assuming that I'm then committed to one company's pads? Is that true?

I know that cantilevers can be a pig to set up but i usually seem to manage quite well and would like to keep them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fibrax are fine. I also picked up some Ritchey Extreames on a web sail, but they eat rims.

Also decathlon own brand ones. I assume you mean the bog standard canti pads on the 'post'.

I'm currently using the Decathlon ones, but they are on XT Canti's.

sidevalve

Über Member
Can't see much of a problem. Try Ebay for a start, lots to choose from including the old types with leather inserts. As you say setting up is really pretty simple and at the price you can try two different makes and experiment a bit.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Koolstop Dual Compound are available with an unthreaded post mount from SJS. Expensive, but fantastic performance, last a long time and reasonably kind to rims.
Far cheaper, and wear out quicker, but still very acceptable performance, are these from Discobrakes.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks chaps - thanks for the Discobrakes reccomendation PP Pete - I've ordered some.

70mm

By the way, it's only recently that I've really realised that different lengths of cantilever pad are available.

Assuming similar quality of compound/manufacturing standards, would it be fair to say that longer is better?

Top Bottom