Cantilever or V Brakes on a tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use V brakes on my Galaxy. Brilliant, because I can do all the adjustments with a simple multitool. I used to have cantis, but it was such a faff setting them up, I don't miss them.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
For some reason I thought they were meant to work with short pulls, but after you said that, I did a bit of googling. I think you're right, they are supposed to be used with long pulls, though apparently not very well with long pull or short pull. Also, quite a few posts I read did say that fender clearance was a problem -might be an issue of mudguard/fender manufacturer and model, don't know.

Also, reading some of the posts, it seems that mini-Vs seem to not be "full" v-brakes, yet not short pull compatible unless your rims are dead straight and with pads a micrometer away from the rim.....

One day I'm going to have to try them to see what they are like (another brake system!).

andym said:
Mini-vs are intended to work with long-pull levers (eg 287vs) but will work successfully with short-pull - but the set up is more critical. They work fine with mudguards.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
The new style cantis have v-brake style pad catridges -makes adjustment much, much easier. The old style cantis? You needed a great amount of patience to set them up properly!!! It used to be one of my least favourite jobs.

chris667 said:
I use V brakes on my Galaxy. Brilliant, because I can do all the adjustments with a simple multitool. I used to have cantis, but it was such a faff setting them up, I don't miss them.

The reason I like Vs is because they couldn't possibly become simpler (apart from jamming your foot onto the wheel). Cantis can be great, but IMO the less parts I can have, the better.

e-rider

crappy member
I have found that wide mtb mudguards don't always fit easily under v-brakes but cantis have more space - however, Vs definitely have more stopping power

stephenjubb said:
Most tourist bikes come with Cantilever Brakes, yet from what I've read V Brakes are much better despite their being fewer accessories (i.e. brake levers for drop bars) available.

My questions are on a tourer would you prefer V Brakes or Cantilevers on a tourer and secondly why do tourers mostly always have cantilever brakes?

It's historical I think. In the 80s, both the fork blades and seat stays on tourers were closer together, mainly because of narrower rims and tyres, plus smaller clusters on the rear. Cantilevers also stuck out more (I remember one reviewer of the time likening them to Prince Charles' ears!). This gave them plenty of leverage (the brakes, I mean, not his ears...).

Modern cantis are more vertical and stays/fork blades are further apart. As a result, cantis don't have the mechanical advantage they used to have. The ones that use shoes that take the same pads as V brakes are the worst IMHO (eg Avid Shortys) as there's no provision for moving the pad closer to the rim. This means the cantilever remains mainly vertical severely limiting the amount of leverage you can apply to the rim.

The older ones that used to have the stud fitting blocks - like these - were good (still available cheaply by the way in almost every French hardware store!) because you could move them close to the rim, and the cantilever itself more horizontal as a result. This gives much more stopping force and makes them pretty good.

Whilst in France last year I stocked up on the old stud blocks. They worked a treat a 2€ a pair!

Cheers,

Top Bottom