Cantilever to V-brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
What are the pros and cons and what's good and what's not?

I know nothing about V-Brakes as I don't generally work on bikes new enough to have them but I have been riding and old MTB a lot lately which I had re-configured with hub gears and hub dynamo. I'm happy enough with the bike, it's hugely practical and having two inch wide tyres opens up forest paths and things which I wouldn't ride on my touring bikes at this time of year.

However I mortally detest the canti brakes. I just can't get them to stay in adjustment properly and consider them a total pain in the arse. I have never been able to make cantis work for me in the past and this bike is reminding me why I hated them in the past.

Is a change to Vs likely to be any better, what do I need to know about them and are my mudguards likely to cause issues?

robgul

Legendary Member
Changing to Vee brakes is no big deal, and I would agree on the PITA factor! - it's a straight swap on the fork studs - BUT the cable pull on the levers is different on most of them - chances are you'll need to rethink the levers. Mudguards probably not an issue . the brake cable "noodles" should be high enough for them to work

Rob

Easy swap. However, as alluded to above, the existing brake levers are not compatible with v-brakes. So you'll need new brake levers too, and uf you have STI levers (with brake levers and shifters sharing one clamp) you'll also need new shifters.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
No STI levers. Just basic Shimano flat bar levers so changing them not difficult or expensive.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is quite easy but I'd try not to skimp on quality of the brakes, Deore would be my choice for the brakes (better quality pivot bushing) but levers can be pretty much anything V-brake compatible.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I have Suntour cantis and braking power is perfectly adequate when set up correctly.

The problem is that they are time-consuming to set up and never stay like that for any length of time, the stupid big nut thing to adjust the spring tension tends to slip and they defeat all my efforts to stop them squealing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but cantis have always seemed a lot of hassle to me and I'd like a simpler solution. I regret not opting for hub brakes when I was expecting the wheels.

Top Bottom