Canute - is it the new Uranus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fnaar said:
typed "moving into Scorpio" into google, and that came up :smile:
I have a nasty suspicion that whatever Fnaar brought up, Google won't do that for me; leastways not at work. We are forced into 'safe search on' and no option, here :tongue:.

ASC1951

Guru
colly said:
When did Boadicea become Boudicca?
Is it Bo-de-see-ah, Boo-di-ka or, as I heard on the radio a while back,Boo-deek-ah?
Here you are -

Boudica's name
Until the late 20th century, Boudica was known as Boadicea, which is probably derived from a mistranscription when a manuscript of Tacitus was copied in the Middle Ages. Her name takes many forms in various manuscripts—Boadicea and Boudicea in Tacitus; Βουδουικα, Βουνδουικα, and Βοδουικα in Dio—but almost certainly, it was originally Boudicca or Boudica, and is the Proto-Celtic feminine adjective *boudīka, "victorious", derived from the Celtic word *bouda, "victory" (cf. Irish bua (Classical Irish buadh), Buaidheach, Welsh buddugoliaeth). The name is attested in inscriptions as "Boudica" in Lusitania, "Boudiga" in Bordeaux, and "Bodicca" in Britain. Based on later development of Welsh and Irish, Kenneth Jackson concludes that the correct spelling of the name in the British language is Boudica, pronounced [bɒʊˈdiːkaː] (the closest English equivalent to the vowel in the first syllable is the ow in "bow-and-arrow"). The modern English pronunciation is /ˈbuːdɪkə/.

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
In 1957 (when I was born), Uranus was Uranus, Boadicea was Boadicea, and Bombay was Bombay.

If people want to change them, I suppose they can, but I'd be highly gratified if they would just wait until I'm dead :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
ASC1951 said:
Here you are -

Boudica's name
Until the late 20th century, Boudica was known as Boadicea, which is probably derived from a mistranscription when a manuscript of Tacitus was copied in the Middle Ages. Her name takes many forms in various manuscripts—Boadicea and Boudicea in Tacitus; Βουδουικα, Βουνδουικα, and Βοδουικα in Dio—but almost certainly, it was originally Boudicca or Boudica, and is the Proto-Celtic feminine adjective *boudīka, "victorious", derived from the Celtic word *bouda, "victory" (cf. Irish bua (Classical Irish buadh), Buaidheach, Welsh buddugoliaeth). The name is attested in inscriptions as "Boudica" in Lusitania, "Boudiga" in Bordeaux, and "Bodicca" in Britain. Based on later development of Welsh and Irish, Kenneth Jackson concludes that the correct spelling of the name in the British language is Boudica, pronounced [bɒʊˈdiːkaː] (the closest English equivalent to the vowel in the first syllable is the ow in "bow-and-arrow"). The modern English pronunciation is /ˈbuːdɪkə/.

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say....

Sh4rkyBloke said:
[more pedantic]Actually, I believe it should be referred to as "adding lib". As you were. [/more pedantic] :biggrin:;)
[even more pedantic xx(]
ad lib is an abbreviation of ad libitum: the two Latin words "ad" meaning "at" or "to" (nothing to do with the English verb "add" :biggrin:) and "libitum" meaning "pleasure" (in the accusative). Strictly speaking the phrase is adverbial and should qualify another verb, however in modern English idiom it is often used as a verb. In this case, how to form the different tenses and participles is not clear. So in the absence of any better guidelines, adding suffixes like "-ing" to the Latin phrase as a whole, seems OK to me.
[enough of this even more pedantic stuff...:laugh::biggrin:]

Top Bottom