Canute - is it the new Uranus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Over The Hill said:
As a kid it was Nestles (Nessalls) even in the milky bar adverts but now they has gone all posh with Nes-lay

I suppose there's no such thing as nuggat anymore either...

noug0002.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I get irritated if people say the him-arlia for that mountain range.

Maizie

Veteran
I have told my husband that if we ever had a son, we simply MUST name him C n u t (which the censor won't let me have all joined up), in the good old fashioned spelling.

One of the many reasons we're not intending to have children, I suppose :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
How about with a K?

No...

I suggest we just stick to Canute. Everyone knows who is meant, and anyone who prefers to refer to **** can just feel historically superior...

Although the one thing most peole get wrong is the whole point of the Canute story. He didn't ever think he could stop the tide - his courtiers were flattering him about his power, and he did it to prove his human falibility and God's ominpotence. But people seem to have got the idea that Canute was a vain man who thought he could hold back the waves..

Much like those people who ignore the signs and park in the tidal zone at Bosham...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fnaar said:
I know, it doesn't work :smile: But it was meant to mildly outrage and amuse :smile: and is to be taken in the vein of "with Mars in the ascendant" or "with the waxing moon moving into Scorpio" etc :smile:
Tell you what Fnaar, by the time you get to the bottom of the page you realise she means it, but unfortunately no canute can tell wtf the she's on about. How did you find that gem? Was it by typing "utter bollocks" into a search engine?;):biggrin::biggrin:

ASC1951

Guru
NickM said:
By which I mean that people on the radio nowadays generally refer to the planet Uranus when what they really mean is Uranus (as we all know)...
Not as daft as you might think. The original word is the Greek 'Ouranos', which was always pronounced with the stress on the first syllable and a short 'a'.

Unlike many European languages, English doesn't like stressing the first syllable of words, and moving the stress to the second syllable naturally makes people pronounce it with a long 'a', maybe making the false derivation with anus.

Another example is homosexual. People assume it's from the Latin, homo, as in Homo Sapiens, so it is pronounced with two long 'os'. In fact although it's a fabricated word, the first part was from the Greek 'homoio' [=same], as in homogeneous, i.e with both 'os' short.

So there. ;)

Just remembered something else. Six-man crew of the Kon-Tiki expedition (cracking adventure book: required teenage reading). They were:
Thor Heyerdahl, Erik Hesselberg, Bengt Danielsson, **** Haugland, Torstein Raaby, Herman Watzinger.
**** is the only survivor of the six (aged 92).

(*hits 'preview'*)

Damn!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
661-Pete said:
Just remembered something else. Six-man crew of the Kon-Tiki expedition (cracking adventure book: required teenage reading). They were:
Thor Heyerdahl, Erik Hesselberg, Bengt Danielsson, **** Haugland, Torstein Raaby, Herman Watzinger.
**** is the only survivor of the six (aged 92).

(*hits 'preview'*)

Damn!

His NickMname was Minge Haugland;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cubist said:
Tell you what Fnaar, by the time you get to the bottom of the page you realise she means it, but unfortunately no canute can tell wtf the she's on about. How did you find that gem? Was it by typing "utter bollocks" into a search engine?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I was answering 661-Pete's point, and typed "moving into Scorpio" into google, and that came up ;)

colly

Re member eR
Asking for a slice of 'gatox' in a cake shop I was told the correct pronunciation was in fact 'gat-O'.

I thought she was speaking utter bollo.

When did Boadicea become Boudicca?
Is it Bo-de-see-ah, Boo-di-ka or, as I heard on the radio a while back,Boo-deek-ah?

Come on Arch spill the beans, this should be right up your neck of the avenue.

rich p said:
His NickMname was Minge Haugland;)
Funny, the book never mentioned that. :tongue:
It does relate his heroic actions in diving into the stormy waves to rescue a shipmate (raftmate) who'd fallen overboard.
But I suppose the book must have left some things out. Maybe in the translation from the øriginål Nørwegiån....?:smile:

Top Bottom