Canyon Aeroad Advice / Opinion please…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
But "only" £229 from there. That is almost 3 times the cost of the mechanical Ultegra which is in stock in Tredz for £83.

But the 12 speed Di2 Ultegra (8150) is £369 in Tredz!

indeed…but you can never guaranteed there’ll be a part in stock at a reduced price when needed

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

indeed…but you can never guaranteed there’ll be a part in stock at a reduced price when needed

interesting find there - cheers - bit scary … they do last but it only takes one crash and you're facing open wallet surgery - I did have a R8000 fail on me this year - (not sure of the material?) but one of the pivot points basically snapped off so I guess they can fail albeit rarely as that's one in absolutely donkeys years. Now I'm thinking mechanical! :ohmy:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The used one - is that the previous generation Aeroad? Produced 2014-2020, I believe? If so - that's a really great bike. The latest one is not as great and definitely far lower value for money.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the new one has a decent bottom bracket that wont creak like canyons of old and doesn't have the sticky up bit of seat post that was susceptible to cracking
1665041928652.png

What does the used one have? I pretty sure it has creaky fit bottom bracket as all canyons did then. I remember squeaking around Mallorca for 100 miles on a hired one.

Venod

Eh up
I have built/bought several bikes since electric changing came out, I always consider it, but then ask myself what are the advantages, this is hard to get past, with mechanical I press a lever it changes, with electric I press a button it changes, I don't have to charge my mechanical but do have to look after the cables, mechanical is cheaper and repairable electric not so.

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

The used one - is that the previous generation Aeroad? Produced 2014-2020, I believe? If so - that's a really great bike. The latest one is not as great and definitely far lower value for money.

yep it's a 2019/20 previous generation, so not the dodgy seat post edition! ok thanks for the info 👍

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

the new one has a decent bottom bracket that wont creak like canyons of old and doesn't have the sticky up bit of seat post that was susceptible to cracking
View attachment 663520
What does the used one have? I pretty sure it has creaky fit bottom bracket as all canyons did then. I remember squeaking around Mallorca for 100 miles on a hired one.

I'm not 100% on the BB - My current Endurace has a press fit BB71/BB72, and never had a creak (only my knees!) - I changed it a year ago and haven't had an issue on this one either - and to be fair I've done around 20,000 miles since new. Sometimes it's just down to bad luck!

…I think it's the seat post problem that worries me though!

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

I have built/bought several bikes since electric changing came out, I always consider it, but then ask myself what are the advantages, this is hard to get past, with mechanical I press a lever it changes, with electric I press a button it changes, I don't have to charge my mechanical but do have to look after the cables, mechanical is cheaper and repairable electric not so.

same really - I've built a couple of bikes and replaced the entire groupset on my Endurace for R8000 - I love the idea of electric gearing but in the back of my mind is it really a huge benefit for me… I do enjoy the maintenance side of it (weirdo) so changing / maintaining cables isn't too much of a problem…

Chislenko

Veteran
Which Aeroad are you looking at. Just looked at Canyon site and there appears to be many different models.

I like the previous posters suggestion of a Noah but personally (and this is just me) I would look at a comparable Orca.

OP
OP
B

bobbyh216

Currently the Aeroad CF SL 8 Disc with the DT Swiss Wheels @ £3999 - I did look at the Di2 new, but it's a bit too much. the used one as an alternative is a Aeroad CF SL, but the previous shape (2nd gen I think?)

yep - I do like the Noah a lot too, and also the Scott Foil - so there's plenty of options - the Orbea's are very nice, but I think for the spec the canyon is a good shout - I think it's mainly because I am a bit limited budget wise!

I think one thing that might hold me back is that I always prefer an understated bike looks wise - some of them are a little garish! but might have to bite the bullet.

Chislenko

Veteran
Currently the Aeroad CF SL 8 Disc with the DT Swiss Wheels @ £3999 - I did look at the Di2 new, but it's a bit too much. the used one as an alternative is a Aeroad CF SL, but the previous shape (2nd gen I think?)

yep - I do like the Noah a lot too, and also the Scott Foil - so there's plenty of options - the Orbea's are very nice, but I think for the spec the canyon is a good shout - I think it's mainly because I am a bit limited budget wise!

I think one thing that might hold me back is that I always prefer an understated bike looks wise - some of them are a little garish! but might have to bite the bullet.

Looks nice Bobby! I personally have never used D12 so can't comment on it, seems to make quite a difference in money though!!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've had two Di2 Aeroad!

The first was an earlyish model that I used very occasionally for whacky-races crits, hilly TTs or general riding. That met its end (as did my racing 'career') on the pointy end of an Audi. Its replacement is still alive with most of the groupset rescued from my first but I managed to crack a chainstay and haven't got around having it fixed.

I'm a big fan of Di2 although the bike I use most ATM is an Endurance with the totally-wireless Red AXS, which I think is where Di2 should really be heading. I suspect electronic groupsets are now becoming so ubiquitous that the long terms service, support and availability of spares will improve, but it's never going to be the cheap option.

The frame I found great for maybe half a day's tooling around but the relatively aggregative geometry did start to hurt for longer rides. That probably says more about me/my age/my general lack of endurance than anything specifically wrong with the bike. I do find the Endurance easier to ride for the day, but I guess that's implied by the name.

I never liked the Aeroad seat clamp wedge even though I didn't have any specific problems. I always tightened it up with a torque wrench and applied plenty of carbon grippy stuff but it always felt like I was walking a tightrope between the post slipping and cracking the seat tube.

As a general observation, I think the quality of Canyon frames isn't as good as it used to be. The finish on my two Aeroads was very clean, but my newer Endurance just looks a little less tidy in terms of the evenness of the paint job. Nothing structural that I can see though.

Top Bottom