Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Pro

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Pro with minor paint defect and £180 saving

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't mean to rubbish their bikes, I've owned and Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike and there is a Giant XTC in the shed my son rides which used to be my steed. There is nothing wrong with them at all (although the Shimano hub on the rear wheel of the Giant fell apart after only a couple hundred miles). I just don't feel I could ever love a bike by either make in the same way my work vehicle is a Ford, it's perfictly decent enough but I could never be passionate about and so have a Subaru for when I'm not at work as it's a great drive, a bit different and I love it.

I only have that budget as I've been patient and saved for it. I'm not rich and it's certainly not throw away cash. It's a huge purchase for me so I want it to be as special as possible.
I'm medically retired and I saved hard to buy my Specialized. If I had waited to buy something I really wanted, I'd still be waiting!
I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to purchase, because ultimately, that's all that matters :smile:

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Which is why I wouldn't buy the one with the scratch.
I'm waiting until Monday so I can contact Canyon to try and get more info on the minor paint defect. It looks like a tiny circular chip, possibly on the top tube and with a very careful touch up job I'm sure I could easily do a decent repair to it.

The pictures on the Canyon website aren't very helpful and there is no description of the defect. There is also no information on which cassette is fitted to the bike, just that it is a Campagnolo Chorus one. The front chainrings are 50/34 compact.

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
I'm waiting until Monday so I can contact Canyon to try and get more info on the minor paint defect. It looks like a tiny circular chip, possibly on the top tube and with a very careful touch up job I'm sure I could easily do a decent repair to it.

The pictures on the Canyon website aren't very helpful and there is no description of the defect. There is also no information on which cassette is fitted to the bike, just that it is a Campagnolo Chorus one. The front chainrings are 50/34 compact.

I believe looking on the interweb that it would be a 12-29 cassette. Aligned to the 50/34 compact crankset it should be great for climbing the Surrey hills.

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Would not buy a carbon bike with a scratch, don't know what's under it?? :whistle:
Comes with a 30 day return guarantee and the full Canyon 6 year warranty. It is listed as pefect condition bar one small paint defect.

People make too much fuss about Carbon fibre, it's actually very strong which is why it's used so widely in the bike and high end car markets these days. It can take a few knocks, it it couldn't nobody would make mountain bikes out of the stuff.

bpsmith

Veteran
And you criticised me on another thread for suggesting a test ride, then buy elsewhere. I'm assuming you didn't go to Germany for that test ride
Hang on a damn minute. I did, rightly so, criticise in your context, but what the heck have I done wrong!?!

I contacted the dealer, IN GERMANY, regarding sizing and went on their advice, along with open reviews and forums online! Seriously, what is wrong with that!?!

You suggested test riding at one store and then buying from the LBS, that incidentally did nothing for the buyer!

I took all my advice from the dealer that I bought off, WITHOUT asking UK dealers and WITHOUT a test ride anywhere!

Go figure...

Edit: I respect your opinion generally, and we joke about colours regularly, but this isn't the thread to get one up just because of the other thread. Don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, possibly £2000. that's the trade off for such great spec for the price. I can always take it to my LBS for a professional fitting and the reviews for these bikes ae excellent.
There's a saying, "chrome don't get you home." All the bling in the World won't compensate for for a frame that turns out to be harsh for a rider of your particular weight, and all the cycle-fit systems in the World can't compensate for a frame with sizing or gemoetry that may be fundamentally flawed for someone of your particular dimensions.

The way it rides and its fit/comfort are paramount, bling is very much a seconday consideration. Canyon do have a reasonably decent rep so there's a fair chace you'll luck out. Nevertheless, you're priorities are backwards if getting a fine-riding machine is your goal and there are buyers and journos who haven't been impressed. I'd sooner have a Ford that suits me beautifully than a Mercedes that doesn't.

OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
There's a saying, "chrome don't get you home." All the bling in the World won't compensate for for a frame that turns out to be harsh for a rider of your particular weight, and all the cycle-fit systems in the World can't compensate for a frame with sizing or gemoetry that may be fundamentally flawed for someone of your particular dimensions.

The way it rides and its fit/comfort are paramount, bling is very much a seconday consideration. Canyon do have a reasonably decent rep so there's a fair chace you'll luck out. Nevertheless, you're priorities are backwards if getting a fine-riding machine is your goal and there are buyers and journos who haven't been impressed. I'd sooner have a Ford that suits me beautifully than a Mercedes that doesn't.

Like someone else stated above, do you really get a great understanding of how a bike will feel after a couple of hours in the saddle and 40+ miles down the road from sitting on a machine in the shop or getting a 5minute spin around the block? Propably not. What you do get with Canyon is a 30 day return period if for any reason you're not happy with the bike. Fortunately there are laws that allow you to return goods (including bikes) that have been purchased over the internet so I can just as easily order one, give it a much better test ride than a shop would allow me and then return it if it's not right for me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Like someone else stated above, do you really get a great understanding of how a bike will feel after a couple of hours in the saddle and 40+ miles down the road from sitting on a machine in the shop or getting a 5minute spin around the block? Propably not. What you do get with Canyon is a 30 day return period if for any reason you're not happy with the bike. Fortunately there are laws that allow you to return goods (including bikes) that have been purchased over the internet so I can just as easily order one, give it a much better test ride than a shop would allow me and then return it if it's not right for me.
And if you ride it you can't return it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And if you ride it you can't return it.

I suspect that's true.

Rose retail in a similar way.

The phrase for returns they use is: "You may examine the goods as you would in a shop."

I take that to mean you can build the bike and sit on it, but not much else.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
K

Kitt

Regular
Well the decision has pretty much been made for me. I went and looked at a Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix and a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1 today, all were good, I was especially impressed by the looks of the Cannondale and the comfort of the Giant which also looks better in the flesh than on the internet. However, having been told in the Giant shop that the Canyon bikes are made in their factory and sensing that both the Specialized and Giant salesmen felt their products couldn't match the Canyon for value I opted for one.

I camr home to place my order only to discover the example that had been reduced due to the paint chip was sold and my chosen model, the Canyon CF 9.0 with the full Shimano Ultegra groupset is completely out of stock and will not be available until May, yes May, seriously, the choice is now pretty much the CF9.0 Pro with the full Campagnolo Chorus groupset. It is the bike I really wanted but I had decided to save £450 and get the Ultegra equipped model. I seriously don't want to wait until May though so I guess I'll be ordering the Chorus specced bike (I might just need a couple of beers first to ease the financial pain of parting with £2k).

I appreciate all the views.

Cheers.

Kitt

Top Bottom