Canyon Endurance 7 vs 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nylontoestraps

Hi there,

Looking at significantly upgrading and settled on the Endurance. Now to choose between the CFSL 8.0 di2 or the CFSL 7 Sram Rival. The 8 isn't available until September-December and the 7 is available in my size now.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of either of these models ? Will the 500 gram weight difference (7 is heavier) be noticeable when I'm upgrading to such a degree anyway. Is di2 that much better than Etap ?

Appreciate any help !

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Just for reference my current bike is around 10 years old (maybe more) and was a custom build on a fairly small budget (£500).

vickster

Legendary Member
Links to each
Are they the same price?
Do they have the same wheels?
What does each weigh? 500g is very little and can likely be shaved off if that bothered by carrying less water or using the loo before setting off!
If you want it asap, you may just need to wait for your size. Or buy something else

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

Links to each
Are they the same price?
Do they have the same wheels?
What does each weigh? 500g is very little and can likely be shaved off if that bothered by carrying less water or using the loo before setting off!
If you want it asap, you may just need to wait for your size. Or buy something else

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-b...hmenfarbe=YE/BK&dwvar_3365_pv_rahmengroesse=M

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-b...di2/3366.html?dwvar_3366_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY/BK

£450 price difference, the 8.0 is 8.16kg and the 7 is 8.52. Thanks for your response, I've been in a youtube hole researching for days now !

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s no difference weight wise.
I’m a Sram fan so that would decide for me.
Although not being black would be the prime decider :laugh: (not an issue for those two)

What else have you considered?

Are you comfortable spending that much on a bike without local dealer aftersales support? I wouldn’t be personally but ymmv

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For me personally it is a no brainer. The eTap has a powermeter, is fully wireless, is cheaper and crucially is available now. The weather is pretty good, go for it.

Edit: I have an Ultimate, I would have bought the new Endurace as well but for some reason Canyon decided not to have mudguard mounts.

OP
OP
N

nylontoestraps

That’s no difference weight wise.
I’m a Sram fan so that would decide for me.
Although not being black would be the prime decider :laugh: (not an issue for those two)

What else have you considered?

Are you comfortable spending that much on a bike without local dealer aftersales support? I wouldn’t be personally but ymmv

To be honest I haven’t really considered anything else, had a look at Ribble but the Endurance was highly recommended by a friend who puts in a lot of miles. Hadn’t thought about after sales support, there’s a great bike shop in the town and I’d planned on using them if there were any issues. As you can probably tell I’m very green with this stuff so massively appreciate the help and advice :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
To be honest I haven’t really considered anything else, had a look at Ribble but the Endurance was highly recommended by a friend who puts in a lot of miles. Hadn’t thought about after sales support, there’s a great bike shop in the town and I’d planned on using them if there were any issues. As you can probably tell I’m very green with this stuff so massively appreciate the help and advice :smile:

What could your LBS sell to you?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have an Endurance, but the SLX with Sram Red, because I'm worth it. I moved over from a Di2 Aeroad that I managed to trash (twice) and used to very very occasionally race on. The fully wireless setup for SRAM is a big plus - Di2 is probably great engineering but the software/user facing side is very dated compared to SRAM. I actually prefer having easily accessible batteries that you can take off and charge away from the bike, even if they need a charge more often than the fixed Di2 batteries. I haven't noticed any particular foibles - shifting is maybe a touch more laggy if you have a dryish chain, but that's it. Only other thing is I used to love the sprint shifters on Di2, while the SRAM equivalents - wired or wireless - are a bit bulky.

I think Canyon are still reasonable value for a whole package compared to other big name manufacturers, but less so than they used to be. The frame quality is 'fine' but I wouldn't get more enthusiastic than that, even for the SLX grade. The quality of the finish doesn't seem quite so good as my previous Canyons but I've no worries structurally. I'll probably end up trashing this one as well. Weight? meh. You likely won't notice.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Both bikes are on the heavier side and the 0.5kg isn't that much anyway. Personally wouldn't buy an electronic groupset - prefer to service my own stuff + that rear derailleur is 20% of the price so if you catch it on something you're fecked. That said, if someone put a gun against my head I would go for SRAM because they use open-source protocols. The idea of using right paddle to move the chain right, left to move it left and both to shift the front also speaks to me more than the 'classic' way.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I went to eyeball :wacko: a SuperSix a couple of weeks ago and was a bit disappointed. The detail and overall quality looked a bit lack lustre. I had a 2012 model one of these back in 2013 and it was the dogs'. SO Cannondale have gone down a notch in my grand list of bicycle brand standings.

Also considering Canyon Endurace and Trek Domane (yes I know they are not thoroughbred race bikes like the SuperSix before anybody pipes up). Other 'players' are Giant TCR/Defy and Orro but it's tough times we live in where 4k buys you a decently specced but perhaps not 'dream' bike.

If Canyon were available in the UK and in a shorter timeframe I would prob get the Endurace (Di2 over SRAM but reading the above has given me some serious food for thought)... I do like the look of the gloss grey frame.

edit to add: from Bollo's posting above and other stuff I read here at some point by some guys who are prob legit - Canyon are not what they were but my point is - this is the whole of the bike industry, I think - maybe?! Maybe we just become more picky as we get older and more experienced. To me a one grand bike will always be 105 level but these days I know that's not realistic... I must be getting old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom