Caption Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That reminds me. Do you want chipolatas for tea?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
To take a whole poem to tell us in tedious detail about your inability to get an erection, but only after having first made sure we all understand that you are in fact able, nay, only too able to get erections by telling us of your premature ejaculation complete with allusions to the quantity of sperm produced - is there not a word for that (other than "tosser")?
I'm sorry to disappoint, SJ, but I love Rochester. Sure, the whole 'all-dissolving thunderbolt' thing is ridiculous, but he writes lines like this. And who else does?

With arms, legs, lips close clinging to embrace,
She clips me to her breast, and sucks me to her face.

Julia9054

Guru
Ahhhh - I miss the madness of the Fringe.
There were only ever about 6 people in the audience. We had a VW camper van which could only be started by bump starting it and it finally died completely on the way home. Got back to Yorkshire at 4am with the damn thing on the back of a flat bed truck. It also happened to be my 21st birthday!

swansonj

Guru
I'm sorry to disappoint, SJ, but I love Rochester. Sure, the whole 'all-dissolving thunderbolt' thing is ridiculous, but he writes lines like this. And who else does?

With arms, legs, lips close clinging to embrace,
She clips me to her breast, and sucks me to her face.
Knowing our respective academic backgrounds, I enter this discussion with trepidation...

Immensely able with words, willing to put into poetry things few others do, but still an arrogant, entitled male. "love a woman? You're an ass"? I used to love that because it seemed subversive, now it just seems offensive.^_^

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Knowing our respective academic backgrounds, I enter this discussion with trepidation...

Immensely able with words, willing to put into poetry things few others do, but still an arrogant, entitled male. "love a woman? You're an ass"? I used to love that because it seemed subversive, now it just seems offensive.^_^

Quite literally. But one hardly looks to restoration libertines in seach of inoffensiveness.

I first read Rochester after taking an unpopular course called something like 'Materialism and Sexuality 1640-1750', taught by a brainy but shy young lecturer with a huge poster of Gianluca Vialli on his office door. In the room next door at the same time was a packed creative writing course taught by a flamboyant novelist. Two hours of rumbustiousness and hilarity emanating from behind the wall while five nervous students stumbled embarrassedly over Rochester's exquisite syllables or ventured hesitant meanings of Fable of the Bees. The tutor once confessed that the experience made him feel like this (talking of art by men of dubious character).

Top Bottom