Car and lorry parking on Scottish footways, survey.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since when was it legal without painted provision?

Since when was it legal without painted provision?
Currently, it is not an offence to park on the footway in Scotland, although it is an offence to drive on a footway under Section 129(5) of the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 (“the 1984 Act). It is also an offence under Section 129(2) of the 1984 Act for a person “…without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, places or deposits anything in a road so as to obstruct the passage of, or to endanger, road users”.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Our MSPs are seeking views of the public with regard to pavement parking

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/FootwayDoubleParkingBill/
Good find! Survey completed and here is my reply to the question on page 1 re personal experiences of problems with pavement parking:
As a retired Police Officer, it used to frustrate me that if I saw vehicles parked on the footpath, there was nothing I could do about it - unless I saw the driver actually driving the vehicle on the footpath, which is an offence. So it is ok at present to force people pushing prams, wheelchair users, young children etc. to walk out onto the road just because some lazy person cannot be bothered to find a suitable parking place and then WALK (perish the thought!) to their destination.
I now work part time driving articulated HGV's and inconsiderate parking has come back to haunt me. They leave their cars on footpaths, on junctions, and ANYWHERE they see fit - as long as there is a big enough gap for a wee car to get through it must be ok in their eyes. Many is the time I have been unable to get into a street I need to get to because some idiot has parked on the corner and I don't have room to turn into the road. Either that or you get into the road only to find cars parked up both sides (yellow lines count for nothing if they are not enforced, and as traffic wardens were done away with outside of major cities years ago, that is now the norm) and the gap too narrow to get through.
Please bring in new legislation if it is necessary to keep our roads and footpaths clear; but it will all be meaningless unless it is ENFORCED, and enforced properly.

Then my answer to the question re whether there should be "exempt areas" where parking on the footpath would be allowed ....
There should be NO exempt areas; make the lazy feckers park properly and WALK.

Then there was the question about how it could be enforced by the Police, or local authority..
The Police are already struggling to cope with what they are being asked to do. You need to bring back Traffic Wardens - perhaps on a self employed basis, earning say 50% of the fines handed out. If you are looking for volunteers to do this, here I am!

Top Bottom