car battery charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Some new cars like to be told they have a new battery so the computer will adjust the charging rate accordingly, but all will cwrrymout their own adaption after a few hundred miles of driving.

Provided the charger is connected to an earth point on the body, and not the negative battery terminal, there will be no problem. That way the current goes through whatever battery management module/computer that may be present and it knows what's going on.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes you can.

You are Bob the Builder and I claim my £5

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Great fun getting tothe battery on a modus no problem leaving it as is. Those crocodile clips on the intel charger are rubbish for anything other than connecting direct to the lead post, might be a good reason i suppose. Still good vfm tbf

Driver door won't shut without a shoulder barge hinge pins are not loose and can't see how I can raise the door up might have to
take the wing off to get to the hinge or could just put a shim behind the bottom hinge to square the door up yeah will do that I think

tyred

Legendary Member
Great fun getting tothe battery on a modus no problem leaving it as is. Those crocodile clips on the intel charger are rubbish for anything other than connecting direct to the lead post, might be a good reason i suppose. Still good vfm tbf

Driver door won't shut without a shoulder barge hinge pins are not loose and can't see how I can raise the door up might have to
take the wing off to get to the hinge or could just put a shim behind the bottom hinge to square the door up yeah will do that I think

You could open the door a little, and with a length of wood along the bottom edge of the door to protect, gently jack it up at the rear of the door with a trolley jack to adjust it up a bit. Just work gently. It won't need much.

CXRAndy

Guru
I once went on a jaguar factory tour. They manipulated the door hinges by lifting them by brute force to correct any small mid alignment. Small imperfections in the panels hammer and dolly were employed

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

You could open the door a little, and with a length of wood along the bottom edge of the door to protect, gently jack it up at the rear of the door with a trolley jack to adjust it up a bit. Just work gently. It won't need much.

Good idea could be worth a try. Guessing a gust of wind must have caught it sometime. It's dropped about 10mm

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Noticed each hinge on door has 3 bolt studs, one doesn't have a nut on it, no idea what it's for. One has a crv head that can be adjusted with a small socket tho can't see the reason of this. I loosened the nut and managed to turn it out a few mm then retighten nut, it appeared to make no difference so I turned it the opposite way and could feel the stud getting tighter, seems to grip a plate on the inside of the door skin anyhow didn't seemed to make any difference with alignment. Strange, it must do something I would have thought.

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

This is annoying, engine has started to hesitate in low revs pulls mainly ok once past 2.5k revs. Could be anything coil, gremlins in ecu
injectors or a possible loose connection somewhere. think it has a turbo tho can't see it under the micro hood. Display say's averaging
42.5 mpg, oh dear driving it very tame too as due a cambelt change. It's only a 1.2 barely that, Have I dropped the ball going for a Modus

Jameshow

Veteran
This is annoying, engine has started to hesitate in low revs pulls mainly ok once past 2.5k revs. Could be anything coil, gremlins in ecu
injectors or a possible loose connection somewhere. think it has a turbo tho can't see it under the micro hood. Display say's averaging
42.5 mpg, oh dear driving it very tame too as due a cambelt change. It's only a 1.2 barely that, Have I dropped the ball going for a Modus

Can you get the codes off the OBD?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Any car since 2001 will have an OBD port usually below the steering wheel on the right. Looks like an old parallel printer or a TV scart port. You can get 5W Solar chargers which plug into it, and it’ll keep your battery charged when car not in use. It won’t recharge a flat battery, just stop it going flat to start. I’d also recommend a cheap multimeter to check battery voltage now and again. If its getting close to 12V then time to go for a drive to give it a boost.

CXRAndy

Guru
renault modus dynamique 1.2 petrol

Common issues with hesitancy are dirty/sticky throttle body at idle of low revs. Other issues common are vacuum leaks, these can be from pipe splits or air inlet manifold gasket leaks. These throw out the fuelling which upset smooth running.

An easy test for vacuum leaks is to spray brake cleaner around engine at idle, to see if the car suddenly picks up in revs. If it doesn't then its possible not the cause or you didn't find the leak with the spray.

A good mechanic who can properly interpret diagnostic data, would narrow down the issue- at a cost

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good idea could be worth a try. Guessing a gust of wind must have caught it sometime. It's dropped about 10mm

In the dim and distant past I worked at Longbridge where they made the original Mini. In the bodyshop where they put on the roof and doors they would slam the door and if a bit low / high they would give it welly with a lever between the door and the frame. Knowing how much leverage and where was down to experience, with the older hands just needing a single " slam, lever, slam - ok "

Top Bottom