car boot sales…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as a result of cupboard clearing etc (see other thread), we now have a load of crap quality surplus to requirement items that we intend to fill the boot (zafira with all the seats down) and 'do' a car boot.

never done one of these, so any pointers would be good. can't get the haggling scene from life of brian out of my head though…

Arch

Married to Night Train
as a result of cupboard clearing etc (see other thread), we now have a load of crap quality surplus to requirement items that we intend to fill the boot (zafira with all the seats down) and 'do' a car boot.

never done one of these, so any pointers would be good. can't get the haggling scene from life of brian out of my head though…

I've shopped at a few, never sold at one. I would imagine the best way, if you're simply looking to make your entrance fee and a bit extra, would be to be prepared to sell cheap, so as to clear stuff. Lots of people of course, do it 'professionally', so they can afford to have stock left, to sell next time.

Might be worth having all books,50p, or everything in this box a quid, to make it easy for all of you to know prices.

From my experience of manning stands, and selling on a craft stall, try and engage with as many people as you can - just a smile or a 'morning!', no hard sell, just enough to make them stop and look for a second longer than they might. You see a lot of folk sat behind their tables, looking grumpy, or talking to each other, and it can be offputting if they don't seem to notice you.

And if someone is looking at something, it can be worth talking it up ("That's pretty much new, only been used once" etc), but don't overdo it - the hard sell puts many people off.

I was at a carboot recently and saw a holdall, which looked the ideal size for a bike trailer project. Asked the lady how much, and she said £2.50, and added that she hadn't intended to sell it, it was to take all the coat hangers home in! I paid up, we were both happy!

I've done quite a few. It helps if you've got a table and a ground sheet, so that you can spread items around (assuming it's not raining of course). Quickly get out of the car when you park, so you can get the ground sheet laid out to grab a bit more space before the next car parks next to you, if possible.

About 50% of people don't haggle and will accept the price you've stated, assuming they want the item. However (and the following comment is not meant in a racist way at all) but I've found that everyone from an Asian background will haggle hard, and if you say an item is £1, they'll offer 50p. The solution I found was to say it was £1.50 and accept £1!

Consider having items which are all the same price, all together in a box, with a big bit of card showing the price. For bigger items, get some fluorescent stickers from a pound shop and put a price on them.

Make sure you've got loads of small change especially £1 coins before you go. Carefully check any £20 notes for forgeries. Don't leave your money in a tin on your table - use a bum bag fastened round your front.

Don't forget to keep smiling.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Get there really early, be prepared to be surrounded by traders/bargain hunters before you get out of the car, take a decent folding table to display the items, take waterproofs and wellies just in case, you will probably have to take stuff home. Did the one at Chelford with my Ma and Pa when they down sized and it was an experience, not sure I would repeat it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Check the car boot is one that sells the type of things you have.

I have done one car boot sale where I shared a plot with a friend to reduce costs and have a biger spread (plus she didn't have use of her car at the time). I laid out a whole load of hand tools, electrical accessories, industrial power tools and 110v transformers. Only just made my half of the entry fee a the rest of the car boot was all kids clothes and toys!

gbb

Legendary Member
The previous posts have pretty much covered it all, i'll only add, price realistically but don't give worthwhile stuff away. Its difficult to know what people are prepared to pay if you're not a regular...you might know 'x' is worth a tenner, but at a carboot getting someone to pay it may be a struggle. On the other end of the scale, i brought a plumbing spanner a few weeks ago, probably cost £8 new, i asked how much....and they replied 5p :wacko:
Stupid, i'd have paid a £1...

Plenty of change, maybe £20 worth, you get through it so quick if people havnt the change.
Price things that are worth something beforehand, it stops people offering stupid money.
Be flexible but dont give stuff away, you've got to think on your feet.
Try to take some carrier bags, people appreciate it.

Watch the weather forecast a couple days before you decide to go, nothing worse than getting the car loaded up then find its poor weather on the day. Poor weather really affects the amount of buyers.
Get there as early as possible.
Don't fall over your table with a huge crashing sound..like someone did at Brampton carboot last week.:blush: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we have done a few always worth doing , dont expect loads for items just let them go for as much as the other party wants to pay or close to what you want .

have fun

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Our car boot is an eye-opener. The middle of the Cheshire countryside is transported into Eastern Europe for the morning.

All you really need to do is get a rough idea of what you want for each item so that you don't let things go too cheap during the initial mad rush.

And don't let them reach into the car to get to the stuff.

Back in the old days there was a gang of dealers who used to chuck a midget who knew antiques into the back of cars and vans to sort the stuff out before it hit the paste table.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
All you really need to do is get a rough idea of what you want for each item so that you don't let things go too cheap during the initial mad rush.

And don't let them reach into the car to get to the stuff.

+1

The worst bit is when you arrive; you will almost certainly find that as you are unloading to set up your pitch, people will be reaching into your boxes and searching through your stuff.

"How much ?"

"What'll you take for this ?"

Keep your eyes open !

I usually take loads of carrier bags so that people can take away their purchases.

Oh yes, take plenty of loose change.

Mr Phoebus

+1

The worst bit is when you arrive; you will almost certainly find that as you are unloading to set up your pitch, people will be reaching into your boxes and searching through your stuff.

So very true. When I did a car boot I sold more than half my stuff to other traders within a few minutes.

They're like locusts descending, I did have to say to them ... "excuse me, any chance I can get out of the car" that's how frantic it is.

Someone used to organize sales on the field behind where I worked, the old hands would arrive hours early and set their stuff up before the masses arrived. The dealers would set up spoof tables with the worst crap they could find to be allowed in before the buyers' gate was open.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
My advice about succeeding at carbotts is to stack it high and sell it cheap and price your goods on the slightly higher side which gives you room for people who want to haggle.
If you are prepared to be a regular you can you can say that you are there every week and can bring your items back if they are not happy ie if you are selling electrical goods. Things like pushlawn mowers and garden shears sell very well on the coast where there are caravan sites and you need to make sure they are sharpened and cut well and can demonstrate them on some grass. Also have good signs and maybe a table of stuff a pound. If you can take card payments which you can do on a moblile phone app then you will take 50% more. Go around a few as a punter and see which are the well attended and lively. Naturally the ones in the prosperous areas with good disposable incomes will do a lot better than the ones in nowheresville and poorer areas. Have a big sheet to throw over your goods when it is raining. Also a good big flask of tea will keep you going.

Globalti

Legendary Member
...all of the above AND: don't wander around spending your cash on stuff from other stalls. You're there to get rid of rubbish not accumulate it!

Gandalf

Veteran
At the risk of stating the obvious, don't try and do it on your own.

Even if you can't get someone else to stick around all day you need someone there first thing (around 06.30) to cope with the rude and pushy boot divers. There is also the issue of toilet breaks and I'm sorry to say, you need a second pair of eyes to ensure your stuff isn't nicked.

Be prepared to stand your ground with adjacent stallholders who are hell bent on encroaching onto your space.

Beware of people who are buying multiple items, particularly if they are working as a pair. This happens a lot with clothing items where they will secrete items or lie about how many items they have picked up. Watch out for the 'can I pay for this seperately' trick as well, which is designed to confuse you.

Be realistic with your expectations. I think of it as as opportunity to get rid of stuff rather than a decent earner. When you factor in your time, including getting up at 05.00, you are lucky to earn minimum wage.

Top Bottom