Car breakdown services - plaudits or brickbats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
1st ( over 20 years ago) cover was Green Flag until my car was too old to be covered (they did write to tell me).
Was with the AA for many years & had excellent service being recovered from Scotland to Southampton twice, the only problem being when they sent a power lift to recover a 4x4 that needed a tilt and slide due to the transmission.
Moved to the RAC 1st breakdown was my mother whose engine management light came on, they didn’t answer the phone, she ran out of credit so limped the car home (EGR Valve fault so no harm done). Put in a complaint, got an apology and some compo, was assured it wouldn’t happen again. 2 years later mums car overheated, she phoned them to be told it was a 4 hour wait, she locked the car and walked home (she was 68 at the time). A few months later the electric handbrake of a car I was in wouldn’t release, I phoned them and they were there under half an hour during rush hour.

I did some searching this year as I wasn’t renewing with the RAC as a main reason I have cover is for my mum (70 this month). A lot of the firms in the T&Cs don’t cover cars over 12, Green flag wouldn’t offer me personal family cover. So I’ve returned to the AA, they weren’t the cheapest, but they offered me the cover I wanted.

It really seems to be luck of the draw.

midlife

Guru
Like User I'm covered by Green Flag via my (Nat West) bank account. Used them twice and have been very good.

Sharky

Guru
Was with the AA for 43 years - several recoveries and always reliable, but became costly so switched to Green Flag.

Prior to the switch, was with Green Flag via a holiday package in France. Water pump failed and the Green Flag took my car to a garage for repair. Communication back to the UK customer service was excellent.

One story from the AA days and before mobile phones, I had a Peugeot 505 estate and the clutch failed. Managed to bump start it using the starter motor and got half way home, but dreading an uphill T junction pulled into a pub carpark. I was hoping to ring from the pub, but it was closed. I turned round with my AA card in hand to walk back to the car and at that moment, an AA breakdown van was just about to pass. Ran out, waving my card and he stopped and came to my rescue.

He in turn got the relay wagon out to me and got me home.

The clutch problem turned out to be an easy fix. It was just a push rod, a bit like a tent peg, that was attached to the pedal and via levers to the clutch cylinder. I always carried a spare one after that and the car eventually did 200k miles before retiring.

Dave7

Legendary Member
For many years I was with RAC or AA until (like others have said) they got far too expensive. So I switched to Green Flag. Only needed them once but a) they were out quickly and sorted it b) they tried to put my next years subs up 34% because I had called them out. I phoned them up but they wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it.
So..........
I cancelled with them, went online (with them) and got it for the original price. How stupid is that!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
they tried to put my next years subs up 34% because I had called them out. I phoned them up but they wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it.
So..........
I cancelled with them, went online (with them) and got it for the original price. How stupid is that!

Sounds like they should use their "expertise" in the Car / Motorbike Insurance Market?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
[QUOTE 5057910, member: 9609"]i'm with something called AutoAid £39 a year covers any vehicle I'm driving (or may be in?) Needed to use it a few years ago, very ifficient, you phone them, they get someone local to come out then pay for it all. seems good value for money[/QUOTE]
I am too, similar experience to yours, and my wife's on the same policy, too.

Cheap as chips, efficient when I've (twice) needed them, what's not to like? Bad experience with a big national once drove me into their arms - pay less, get more's a very compelling service model, I'm finding.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been with the RAC for quite a while and they have been pretty good. One thing to watch out for is that they try it on a bit when you renew. Politely tell them that you would like to pay the same as they are offering to new customers. It's usually a lot less than the renewal fee they quote. They'll squirm a bit but if you tell them you will defect to the AA, they should cave in.

gavgav

Guru
RAC over the AA any day. Only used each once, RAC were excellent, arrived in 30 minutes and fixed something the chap said he’d not seen in 30 yrs of service, my alternator bracket had sheared off and the alternator was effectively hanging by the belt!!

The AA took 4 hours to get to me and the chap had come from Manchester to Shrewsbury (About 60 miles!) and they couldn’t fix it at roadside.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
We have always been with the AA for many years and as my wife gets her Ford serviced at the Ford garage she gets the car covered (full cover) free each year, well for the last two years.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whichever way you go, buy through quidco if they offer it

Another Natwest Greenflag here but never needed

Last time I used RAC, they were pretty rubbish in terms of response and sent the wrong vehicle to collect

I think you’ll pay more to cover you rather than just one car

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Bit of both. I have been AA for many years mostly good. Recently had a flat tyre and the useless supplied jack could not lift the car. A local garage sub contracted turned up in about 10 minutes. Last one was a failed speedometer about 200 miles from home. I knew what the fix would be - a new sender unit and wanted directions to a main dealer anywhere near who would have the part. In the past a patrolman would have told me the nearest one. This time a call centre told me to use my smartphone ( everyone has one surely ) on GPS. i.e. in traffic in 30 mph speed limit area steer with one hand and hold the phone on the other. Legal or what? I just had to match other traffic speed and hope for the best.

Top Bottom