Car breakdown services - plaudits or brickbats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
That was what Auto-aid used to be, I only ever wanted it as a get me home, not to the nearest garage, if it won't start at home I'd jump it off another, if I was only 10-15 miles away son/wife somebody would bring the tools, it's only a major breakdown I need cover for, like when we were 200 miles away with a caravan on the back & the gearbox would only let me select 5th gear. I drove it the last 40 miles to the caravan site with only that gear & then had them recover me home.

Impressive. I know someone who lost third whilst towing a caravan in north Yorkshire and that sounded fairly difficult to deal with - not sure how one would get on with just fifth - not ever stopping or slowing down I suppose!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Old resurrection I know, but last year my Autoaid went up from £39 to £41.95, this year it's gone up to £59.99 almost 50% so I'll be looking for a new company.
I am with Greenflag and they responded well when I needed them. Then they wacked the price up because I had had the cheek to actually call them out. I asked "are you going to reduce it when I dont call you out"??
Anyway, I cancelled, went on line and joined again at the old price.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've used green flag for nearly 10 years. Price was initially competitive and they haven't yet done the jack-the-price up trick. I have called them out - 2 x recovery once blown-engine clearly terminal, and once blown water hose sadly not road-side fixable though bloke gave it a good go. Also a couple of dozy locked-ourselves-out incidents. Also covers the motorbike which hasn't yet needed a call-out. All pretty good thus far.

D

Deleted member 26715

Impressive. I know someone who lost third whilst towing a caravan in north Yorkshire and that sounded fairly difficult to deal with - not sure how one would get on with just fifth - not ever stopping or slowing down I suppose!
LOL had to stop at a couple of roundabout, traffic lights but did try to judge most so I didn't, just high rev's & a lot of clutch slipping, it smelt horrible, but as I knew the box had to come off it didn't matter if I burnt it out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We've been with a bunch called First Call for about ten years and they've been fine the few times we've needed them. With one caveat:

once blown-engine clearly terminal

When that happened to us, they charged us £140. They said - and they proved to be quite right - that their Ts&Cs state clearly that if the car can't be returned to health, you're not covered for that final tow. At first I was fair grumpy about it, but then I took into account that they continued to cover us, with no price increase, right up to 20 years old - I've heard many other organisations wouldn't. So I guess it's swings & roundabouts: they'll cover 'high risk' vehicles, but they avoid that final hit if - and only if - it dies. Overall...well, we're still with them on our new car, so...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We've been with a bunch called First Call for about ten years and they've been fine the few times we've needed them. With one caveat:

When that happened to us, they charged us £140. They said - and they proved to be quite right - that their Ts&Cs state clearly that if the car can't be returned to health, you're not covered for that final tow. At first I was fair grumpy about it, but then I took into account that they continued to cover us, with no price increase, right up to 20 years old - I've heard many other organisations wouldn't. So I guess it's swings & roundabouts: they'll cover 'high risk' vehicles, but they avoid that final hit if - and only if - it dies. Overall...well, we're still with them on our new car, so...

As it happened, my car was returned to health. Cost me roughly what I paid for the car 9 or 10 years previously. ie the problem was indeed "terminal" to the engine, but not the car as a whole

Levo-Lon

Guru
Talking of breakdown cover..
A week in Cornwall.
I drove about 850 miles this week with no problems, derv in cornwall £1.27!! Brilliant

I saw a zafira parked in the middle of 5 lanes Exeter services area M5
An Audi parked in the middle of 5 lanes Bristol M5

And about 5-6 landrover Discovery and Range Rovers on tow trucks plus 2 freelanders and an Evoque
A fiat 500 bonnet up and a vw Caddy and a few crashed cars.

There may have been a few others but I wouldn't ever invest in a breakdown marque like Land rover.. Terrible
I'd love a to see a stat of miles per breakdown for these things, its not like there 2a penny on our roads unless you live in Chelsea

Top Bottom