car buying/aftersales, moral question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I bought a new car recently from a showroom to replace my van.
Like they do, their head office send you a satisfaction survey, presumably for them, in their capacity as head office, to evaluate how good their dealer is.
Before I received the survey, the dealership wrote to me, basically asking for 'the opportunity to put any problems right first', but basically making it clear that they expect 'Excellent' to be answered in response to all the questions.
Whilst I think this is a bit of a cheek, I can understand why they do it, as it is only logical that I go to them first rather than bitching over their head.
However, I have a sort of criticism, basically they offered me a nice discount, but what I didn't realise at the time was that I had to 'complete' (if the house buying term can apply to cars) by the thursday (i bought it at the weekend).
The discount was obviously their drive to get rid of that month's batch of cars, which is why they had to get them out the door by the end of the month.
Really, though, I wouldn't have appreciated them telling me, because I may have not then bought it, which would have been the wrong decision, 'cos as it turns out, it's excellent, and everthing went smoothly and on time.
But I was then a bit worried that if somebody, say, the insurance co., or the royal mail, had f*cked up, the whole thing would have gone TU and I wouldn't have been able to buy it for the agreed price.
I'm now in the dilemma of wanting them to know that such reassurance would have been welcome, in a genuine desire to help them improve even further for the future, but not wanting them to bollock the salesman, as he was excellent and i see him as "the little man", just a guy earning a living, rather than the big I am in his office doing the ass kicking and licking in whichever direction.
What I'm tempted to do, is to write the dealership a letter explaining all this, leaving the box unticked but recommending that i would tick 'excellent', but enclosing the survey so they can actually do it.

or am i reading far too much into this and making a mountain out of a molehill and i should really just tick 'excellent', send it back to head office, not even bother writing back to the dealership, and not think any further of it?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can you bin the survey and just send em an email ?

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Just drive the car. Forget the survey: you didn't buy your car in order to herlp out with their market research unpaid in your own time, did you?

Yep, forget the survey. I still feel guilty not filling out a survey once for a course I was on despite the fact that the more surveys they got, the more funding they got.

I now bin every single survey I get, or just give them all zeros, safe in the knowledge that that original bit of guilt can neither be alleviated nor worsened.

the survey is linked to the the commision that is paid by the franchise to the salesman, just tick excellent and let the fella get his full rate.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
surveys are great ways of finding things out about the kind of people that complete surveys.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I would tick excellent on the survey. You wrote in your OP that you thought it was excellent, except things might have gone wrong "in completion".

As it was a brand new vehicle, presumably it has a warranty, and you will be taking it back to the dealership if anything goes wrong.

Abitrary

You should have got a couple of year old one, with the brunt of depreciation gone, and asked for a warranty renewal.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Abitrary said:
You should have got a couple of year old one, with the brunt of depreciation gone, and asked for a warranty renewal.

with a new one i know exactly what the servicing costs are going to be - approx £150 a year. I've never seen 'warranty renewal' - if it exists you probably have to pay for it and it's not the same as (read: as good as) the manufacturers' warranty, it's more of a 2nd-hand-dealers' own warranty. You probably have to still pay for it. Add to that other benefits of buying new, i.e. first year's tax included, towbar included, no MOT costs, discount, it's not really enough of an incentive to me.
Don't get me wrong i can see the logic to buying used cars, in fact i advocate it - you can often get a lot more car for your money. But you have to go at least 5 years old for this difference to be really noticeable, and this is where you get into the it-might-be-a-money-pit territory.
And I may do it again at some point in the future. But personally, at the moment, i've sort of gone from one extreme to the other, i was a bit fed up of unexpected, un-budgeted-for bills, and 'crankiness'.
Also, abitrary, the other thing you've got to remember about used cars is the notion of 'inspecting it to see whether it's mechanically sound' is a misnomer. If it's ok to drive and you can't see anything wrong with it by doing a few simple checks then it will be mechanically sound, but the problem is not whether or not there's anything wrong with it NOW, but whether anything will GO wrong with it in the near future.

Rhythm Thief said:
Or bought something off ebay with an MOT for a few hundred quid. That's how I get all my vehicles nowadays.

I was thinking about that actually - you buy a car for £300 with full mot, and as long as it lasts the year, then as long as any problems on it don't cause it to literally conk out for good then you just don't bother fixing it, and you've guaranteed yourself that your motoring costs are only going to be £300 per year. I did see a '97 skoda favorit with long mot, a towbar, for £300-odd quid but its battery was flat, not that that was a problem, but it made a similar ticky noise to what my van had been doing when we jumped it, so i thought that wasn't a good sign of it not following in its footsteps, also its fan didn't work and it didn't have power steering.

Top Bottom