car buying/aftersales, moral question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

bonj said:
Don't get me wrong i can see the logic to buying used cars, in fact i advocate it - you can often get a lot more car for your money.

You should have bought a used car, and used the difference to buy an ISA. You would have been better off all round in 5 years time.

Noodley

...or you could have used the money to have your colours done.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

if it's a year old it's going to be an ex demonstrator, not a genuine second hand.
I considered one of those, but while it was "less", it wasn't "much less". and i did enquire about the warranty and they said you'd just get the balance.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

good for you. But you haven't got as much choice then, have you - you've pretty much got to EITHER take what's on offer, or spend ages going hunting round umpteen dealerships in various different towns, something i couldn't be bothered to do.
I considered it, but i didn't happen to see a particularly good deal in a used one that i liked. I did however happen to see a particularly good deal in a new one that i liked.

Mr Pig

Car dealers are all slimeballs. This one simply hasn't taken his mask off yet. Answer the survey honestly and if the dealer isn't happy, too bad. He had no right to preasure you regarding it.

Chris James

Über Member
bonj said:
Don't get me wrong i can see the logic to buying used cars, in fact i advocate it - you can often get a lot more car for your money. But you have to go at least 5 years old for this difference to be really noticeable, and this is where you get into the it-might-be-a-money-pit territory.

Nonsense. We recently bought a 16 month old Mondeo estate for £9K - the new list price was something like £16k - £17K (albeit I am sure that you could get it new for less than that).

Serviced as per manual intervals and not due another for a year, less than 20,000 on the clock, no MOT due and still more than half the 3 year manufacturers warranty period remaining.

And we didn't shop around much ro drive a hard bargain.

GrahamG

Guru
Bonj hasn't said what car it is yet - you're all basing this talk of depreciation on family saloons by the sound of it. I'd agree with all that's been said when it comes to any car over £10k but once you look at small/medium cars, it's really not the same situation because of the low purchase price. Try buying a 12 month old VW polo or somthing for more than 10-15% off the new price - you are likely to have trouble, and in that case why not just get a new one so you can treat it right rather than taking a gamble?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chris James said:
Nonsense. We recently bought a 16 month old Mondeo estate for £9K - the new list price was something like £16k - £17K (albeit I am sure that you could get it new for less than that).

Serviced as per manual intervals and not due another for a year, less than 20,000 on the clock, no MOT due and still more than half the 3 year manufacturers warranty period remaining.

And we didn't shop around much ro drive a hard bargain.

well a fella at my work recently got an AUDI estate for about that money, only about an 05 or 55.

Top Bottom