Car CD player

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Dear Chatters,

we have a car that has a DAB radio and all sorts of Bluetooth streamy type things, but doesn't have a CD player. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a cheap, maybe portable, CD player - plug it in the auxiliary input and the cigar lighter ?

I have had a search but everything seems to point to American options ...

thanks
Andrew

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you post the stereo’s name, or a photo, someone here will surely be able to help.
:smile:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
My car's that old it has a CD autochanger in the boot. Either digitise your CD's (easy on the computer at home) and stick them on a USB pen, or use the Aux input with a stand alone 'walkman' type thing - will mess the car up.

We tried putting the records on a USB drive, but it takes premeditation, and were not 100% sure what we were doing. We want to be able to grab a few CDs and take them with us as we leave, not have to copy them onto a USB drive first.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Really? Even an old dinosaur like me can rip my cd collection to mp3 format (choose your bit rate/quality) and have my entire selection permanently plugged into my mechless dab headunit on a tiny thumbnail sized usb stick.

There is no otherway IMO, unless you get a hard drive unit which still means transferring via usb or sd card (as done in my wife's Audi).

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Really? Even an old dinosaur like me can rip my cd collection to mp3 format (choose your bit rate/quality) and have my entire selection permanently plugged into my mechless dab headunit on a tiny thumbnail sized usb stick.

There is no otherway IMO, unless you get a hard drive unit which still means transferring via usb or sd card (as done in my wife's Audi).

It is not we cannot do it, but that we like just grabbing a random selection of CDs to take with us.

btw - I have NO idea what you meant by mechless dab headunit :smile:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Maybe we are not going to be able to do this .. :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It is not we cannot do it, but that we like just grabbing a random selection of CDs to take with us.

btw - I have NO idea what you meant by mechless dab headunit :smile:
It's just a radio. No cassette, no cd. Pretty much an empty unit, just the tuner and amp which take up not much room and weigh not a lot. Does have a usb socket though and plays mp3 files. It felt like installing a bathroom without a bath when i fitted it but with hindsight it was absolutely the right thing to do. Also saves cluttering up the car interior with unneeded cds and cd cases.

EDIT: just copy ALL your cds. There are cheap, huge capacity usb sticks available that will hold all the cds you own.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Dear Chatters,

we have a car that has a DAB radio and all sorts of Bluetooth streamy type things, but doesn't have a CD player. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a cheap, maybe portable, CD player - plug it in the auxiliary input and the cigar lighter ?

I have had a search but everything seems to point to American options ...

thanks
Andrew
https://thewirecutter.com/blog/add-cd-player-car-stereo/

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely worthwhile putting music on a memory stick. The single best "upgrade" I ever made to my ancient Pug 205 was to fit a modern radio with usb port and slot for an SD card. I now have hundreds of songs to choose from and no longer have the door pockets stuffed with rattling cassette and CD boxes.

Top Bottom