car crash britain - itv1 9pm Thu 5 Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Opens with a car-bike crash - catch it on itv1+1 in an hour - anyone else see it and what did you think?

I was surprised that where the cyclist had his camera mounted. Very unflattering - apparently an appendage protruding from his forehead!

The crash seems totally the motorist's fault, but I wonder why the rider didn't try to do an emergency turn.

A motorbike just got pulled out on as we went to adverts too. This isn't happy viewing. I wonder if they'll make any useful points before the end :sad:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The title says it all; it's car crash tv. I'd honestly rather watch Top Gear, and that's crap.

GC

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Interestingly, the end titles thank Aviva. If you take one of those insurance policies where they put a camera in your vehicle, who owns the footage?

But good grief, it's a series. Why? It was boring after an hour of half-watching it!

Globalti

Legendary Member
ITV and Channel 4 are really turning out some garbage at the moment. I can't believe they haven't thought of attaching cameras to a bunch of cycle commuters for the ultimate cheap but sensational train-smash TV.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
ITV and Channel 4 are really turning out some garbage at the moment. I can't believe they haven't thought of attaching cameras to a bunch of cycle commuters for the ultimate cheap but sensational train-smash TV.

Mind you, the bbc send people to a flea market to buy some crap then sell it in an auction and they are thrilled to make £25 or whatever. They could have done some ironing for people and made a better hourly profit.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

That's why the tv has an on/off button.
I sometimes like background noise while working and I thought that show might have a point besides "here, gawp at these crashes" but no, it seemed like pure rubber-necking. Has itv dropped any pretence of being a Public Service Broadcaster?

Has anyone got an Aviva camera-using insurance policy? I didn't find one. I wanted to see if they claim rights to sell footage of your driving to itv.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just the title was enough to put me off, I can't think of a single one of those types of shows that I'd want to watch.

The trouble is that people switch the TV on and say, "there's nothing else on, we'll have to watch this."

So the programme makers get the viewing figures and think, "fantastic, we've got away with that, let's knock out some more of the same old crap."

If people didn't watch it then eventually it would get dropped, you can't complain the TV is full of crap if you actually watch it though.

As they used to say on Why Don't You, "why don't you switch off your television set and go and do something more interesting instead?"

That quote might not be word perfect, but then it was a long time ago. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Motorway Cops and Police-Camera-Action shows are nothing more than thinly-disguised propaganda to fool the motoring public that there are still Police cars out on proactive patrol, as opposed to the reality, which is that they are letting ANPR and technology do their work and routinely breath-testing anybody involved in even the smallest fender-bender then tweeting the news.

I struggle to see the point of the cycling crash or disastrous young driver/learner videos though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Motorway Cops and Police-Camera-Action shows are nothing more than thinly-disguised propaganda to fool the motoring public that there are still Police cars out on proactive patrol, as opposed to the reality, which is that they are letting ANPR and technology do their work and routinely breath-testing anybody involved in even the smallest fender-bender then tweeting the news.

I struggle to see the point of the cycling crash or disastrous young driver/learner videos though.
Not trying to be provocative but what's wrong with that?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong if it discourages drink-driving. However to my mind it's all part of the abandonment of proactive Policing where experienced officers would be monitoring traffic and stopping cars that didn't look "right" based on gut instinct. This introduced an element of chance into the equation for people who broke the law. Now that Police patrols are almost never seen, bad drivers can break the law with impunity and continue to do so, as long as they don't make a mistake.

As an example, if you speed habitually you're very likely to get away with it for years unless you fail, through your own bad observation, to spot a speed camera or heed the speed camera warning signs in areas of special concern.

Top Bottom