Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Alas, not at all sensible. Most folk are right handed, so you lance and sword arm is on the side of you facing away from your enemies. If Saddam were clever he'd have invaded Kuwait on the left side of the road, leaving all the coalition (apart from the British) unable to counter this dastardly move.
A while ago* I compiled a list of countries showing how many do not appear to have gotten that most instructive memo. Then there’s this McLaren F1:

WyM0lMq.jpg

Specially built for middle lane hoggers

*it's been so long that some may no longer be countries

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If you paint them red or yellow it will make the car faster. That's what the local Corsa boys have told me:laugh:

That's a myth , pee green is the colour

gbb

Legendary Member
Removed the MAF sensor,thorough clean with residue free solvent cleaner, refit. All good, Wasn't visually dirty once removed but may prevent any future problems.
60k on the clock, I brought it at 9k, 11 months old,you soon clock the mileage up.

keithmac

Guru
I'm close to putting back together the Mk2 Golf gearbox with new bearings, 3rd gear synchro and diff bolt kit (been in bits a year..)

BUT I also have a Mk3 16v ABF gearbox on the shelf which would require a lot of work to fit but is a much better/ stonger 'box from the factory.

Also mulling over converting it to bike throttle bodies..

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's looking like I'll need to change the oil in the MX-5 myself this year as the Mazda dealer is closed until further notice. It's a hideous job on the Mk3 without a lift or pit. I never trust axle stands so I jack it and let the front wheels rest on a pile of blocks so it can't go anywhere. This gives just enough room to shimmy underneath but, even then, my nose touches the underside. And the oil filter is under a cover with another 3 bolts to undo. Maybe I can hire a place with a pit for an hour?

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
It's looking like I'll need to change the oil in the MX-5 myself this year as the Mazda dealer is closed until furthee notice. It's a hideous job on the Mk3 without a lift or pit. I never trust axle stands so I jack it and let the front wheels rest on a pile of blocks so it can't go anywhere. This gives just enough room to shimmy underneath but, even then, my nose touches the underside. And the oil filter is under a cover with another 3 bolts to undo. Maybe I can hire a place with a pit for an hour?

Can’t it just wait, surely you’re not going to put many miles on it with what’s going on, Mrs Gunks Mini is due for a major service and MOT this month, I’m just going to leave until later in the year.

D

Deleted member 26715

The pollen filter on any recent Volvo is about as frustrating as it gets. Of course it helps if you're trying to jam the right filter in the right slot :blush:
I have the Rav4 to do it came with the service pack, but I have no idea where it is on the car

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ditto the Volvo. Probably do it myself if the restrictions arent lifted soon. I already have about half the 7 litres of oil needed, as each time it goes to the dealer fir a service my Dad was given a litre of oil for top ups. Of course, it never uses a drip of oil between services so I've 4 litres of A5 0w30 ready to go. Luckily its last service was the big one (with belts, pulleys and water pump) so I don't need to replace the coolant, brake fluid, air filter, diesel filter, cabin filter etc. It'll be an oil and filter, lube hinges and locks, top up levels, and then very laboriously get it in the air to check for play in everything. It's a ballache and I'd just as soon pay the dealer, but that's awkward at the moment with all that's going on, so sod it.

Today I'll plug in the smart charger as I don't know when itll next be used.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Didn't fancy Volvo fiddling today, so turned my attention to the 2 litre pinto engine that's in the corner of the garage. Head is already off and awaiting a full strip/rebuild once I order the valve stem seals, I'll be fitting the CVH seals as they are trapped under the valve springs so never go anywhere, the stock ones can pop off unless you Loctite them on which results in a rather smokey motor.
Today was water pump off (knackered), fuel pump off (also knackered), auxiliary shaft out which looks OK. Engine turned over on the stand and sump off, initial look doesn't have any screaming issues but will be checking the shells as part of the strip down when the pistons come out. The bores need honing so likely to fit new rigs at the same time.
Not sure if I'll do any tweaks, there are options to get a decent power uplift but in the current climate I think it will be a standard build over a period of many months. No rush as its destined for the Capri which needs the body to be tidied first.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Tomorrow I'm going to clean up and paint the rear calipers on my XC90. I did consider chavvy red or vulgar Sloda green, but being discrete and unassuming chap I am I'll do them in black. They're really not at all bad and inordinarily wouldn't bother, but time is weighing heavily upon me, as I'm sure it is everyone else.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think you can bore a Pinto out more than a CVH . There were always more tuners working on Pintos, despite it being the older design. Once you get to later 16v engines, most of the work has been done already and it's harder to add any meaningful gains.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I think you can bore a Pinto out more than a CVH . There were always more tuners working on Pintos, despite it being the older design. Once you get to later 16v engines, most of the work has been done already and it's harder to add any meaningful gains.
Indeed it is a very tuneable lump, much like the older X-flow. Overbore to 2.1 is the norm with a peaky cam and twin sidedraughts in 40 or 45mm guise, normally on the favoured 205 block. I've only a 20 block, and since it looks clean I'll just build as is for now. It's only my 2nd pinto so still learning, but find it a very enjoyable way to spend my time.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The CVH did have one neat feature: you could change the valve seals without taking the head off! Similarly, there were some FWD Vauxhalls where you could change the clutch without removing the gearbox or driveshafts. That was genius.

Top Bottom